Tiger Fishing rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by archer1914, Jun 25, 2008.

1. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    every body was tlking about tiger rods by ugly stick last year they run about 70$ now it seems to not be mentioned and they are talki9ng about the sponsers rods i understand that i was wondering they run about the same prices the ones i have been looking at what do u think of them in comparison of each other does anybody have any of the sponsor rods in west virginia i not crazy about buying things i havent had in my hands

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    David, I have 2 UgkyStik Tiger spinning rods ($59.99 each @ Cabelas) and 2 Catfish Safari spinning rods ($79.99 each). Its Catfish Safari hands down, no comparison. The Safari rods are far superior to the Tiger. I'm not saying the Tiger is a bad rod, just that the Safari rods are that much better. I have also had my hands on the Tiger casting rods, and I bought 2 Catfish Safari Flathead casting rods. Once again, Safari rods win out. I have yet to hear of anyone complain about one of Steve Brown's Catfish Safari rods. Steve and his wife are good folks and good to do business with. Take a chance on one, you wont be disappointed.

3. catfever

catfever New Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    Barry is the tip stiffer on the safari compared to the tiger, i have med. tiger spinning now but been wanting to find someone that had used both, i fish a river with lots of current and was thinking i needed a little stiffer rod.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Barry, excellent balanced review! :wink:

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Catfish Safari Rods are GREAT ! as good as I ever used,You wont be dissaponted in the Rod or the Service !!!

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well to try and answer david and marks question barry said it. the catfish safari rod is designed for catfishing so it makes it a better catfish rod, not that the tiger isnt a great rod its just designed to target salt water fish. its hard to say witch has a stiffer tip because they are 2 different animals the tiger is a fast action rod and the cs is a slow action heres a link explaining if you dont know what i meen http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1012106#post1012106

7. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Is a Safari rod that good that I would replace my tiger sticks which are mh rated at 30-60lbs. I am very happy with my tiger rods so the safari would have to be a big difference.

:wink::wink:

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have to agree with kscathunters responce. They are 2 different animals. The action is different, and the balance is different. They load up into the backbone different. The CS rod is much better suited for what it was designed for, landing agressive cats and living to fight another day.

9. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    David and Mark, I own 1 med/hvy Tiger and 2 med. Tigers. When you think medium or med/hvy, it's not like your bass rod. These are stiff rods with big back bones for hauling in big fish. Last Christmas I bought 2 Catfish Safari Flathead rods. They are also big rods for big fish. I fish exclusively from the bank. I use Abu 7000's with 4-5 ozs. on 50 lb. Power Pro tied to 4/0-6/0 Gama circle hooks. I'll give you my impressions.

My first Tiger rod was the 7' med/hvy. I think it is well constructed, it has quality guides and a heavy foam handle I fished with it for a while, but decided it was too stiff for my liking. It has NO flex. in the tip, just straight stiffness. Next, I tried the medium action 7' Tigers. Same quality guides, handle and construction. I liked them much better. They are stiff, but still have some flex in the tip, so when they are in the rod holder and a fish bites, the tip flexes and the little bell dings! Also, I have an easy time casting these rods. They throw pretty far and it usually lands where I aim it.

The Catfish Safari Flathead rods are 8' long, and I don't think they have a stated action, ie. light, medium, heavy etc.. They flex differently than the Tigers. A Tiger bends at the tip, where as a CS Flathead bends not only at the tip, but also deeper down towards the middle of the rod. There are some great pictures on the CS website that show exactly what I mean. The rod will bend in an arc. They have big chrome guides, which I like for distance casting and a very unique handle wrapped in para cord. Also, the handle is a smaller diameter than the Tiger rods which might make a difference to some people. The guide wrappings are well executed and I like the lighter color of the rod blank for fishing at night, although I still think white is best in the dark. It took me some time to learn to cast these rods well. The extra flex was causing me some line drives or mortar lobs, along with more than my usual number of back lashes. Once I got the timing down, they cast far and accurately with little concern.

Personally, I think both brands of rods are great for how I use them. A last comment on the tip flex is in order though. Here in Oklahoma the winds blow 20-40 mph.... alot. When the winds are up, I reach for the Tiger rods because the tips don't flex as much and the bells don't shake around. The tips on the Flathead rods are just flexible enough to make the bells move in the wind and keep me looking up at them to see if I'm getting a bite when it's only the tips swaying in the breeze. On more calm days, the Flathead rods get the call.

In closing, I like both rods and I need both in my arsenol for my style of fishing. Catfish Safari is a great company to deal with and I have complete confidence that they would correct any problem I have with their products. For help with the Tigers, I'd probably be out of luck. Fortunately, I haven't had an issue with either brand. Fish on, Doug

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've never fished a Safari, but I own 7 Tigers (6 MH, and 1 H Tiger Lite), and I can tell you, they are perfect for my style of fishing, and I have no need to switch. They've been battle tested and have held up perfectly for me. I fish a river with a heavy current, so the stiffer tip keeps the rods from bouncing all day long. When fighting a good fish though, the response on the rod is excellent, but you know you have the backbone if you need it, b/c you never know when a 70 or 80lb hawg is gonna be on the other end.

BTW, you mentioned the Tigers being $70. Try the Catfish Connection, they are $53.95 there.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I like the tiger rods alot. At the moment I have them collecting dust as my buddy with a boat moved. I will reinstate them when I can afford to get my own CAV " catfish assault vehicle." :big_smile: I will probably look at the sponsors rods at that point if the coin is available.