tiger fishing rod for cats

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cliff n york, Apr 25, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i lost a story about a guide who fish's lake wateree using a tiger rod in medium light. is this true, i would like to buy some to fish with if it is.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If your talking about Ugly Rods yup there a worthwhile investment. I have a few and they stand the test of time.

3. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fished with a Guide last summer.
    He uses the tiger rod, not sure about the ML though.
    I liked the rods, so I bought 2 myself. One is a "ML". I have a caught a 40# blue on it (in the stumps), but landed him with no problem.

I plan to buy a couple more as soon as the $$$

I like'm

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Wateree guide loves the medium light Tiger. That is a fact.:wink:

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...i lost a story about a guide who fish's lake wateree using a tiger rod in medium light..."

I know a guide down there on Wateree and he loves them!! Catches some monster cats on them!! He is our own Mudkip!!!! :wink:

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey they are pretty good rods I havent had a rod in a while but they are a good investment, there pretty sturdy and you shold be able to catch some fish on it.

7. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Cliff,
    I landed a 67 pound blue ( PB.) on the day I bought my first ML Tiger, I was so impressed I went an bought 5 more just like it.
    You won't regret buying the Tiger.

8. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    mudkip it was you i read about, as soon as i saw your name i remembered. i have a boat i"m getting ready to fish. thank you for answering

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have 6 of the &ft Med Tiger rods and I love them. Plenty of backbone with a good sensitive tip. I will be buying some more for sure.

10. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I bought one to try it and it was nice, but was not convinced I wanted more. I use pinicles power tips with 7000 ABU's and 5600c3 on them.

Curt

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am a fan of the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite rods. I have four of them and they are nice rods. They are a little much for the average channel cat, but for flatheads and blues they have some needed backbone to do the job.

12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    make sure you get the modle that has stainless steel eyes if not you will not be able to use brad line

13. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am not sure if there is an all around rod but the 7'9 ugly ml is as close as I have come to finding one. Not to stiff to drift, not to stiff to vertical fish for flats and works just fine for plain casting out. They have enough backbone to pull fish out of just about anything. I would love to see an 8 footer though.

14. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Just for another option, you might give Cabelas King Kat rods a try. I have two 8 foot heavy action rods with Ambassador 6600 reels. Great rods for the price for those big Blues.

Tight lines.

15. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    You may want to look at the basspro shops cat maxx rod's in mh.they also make a live bait rod it is 7'9".

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Catman 4926: can you elaborate on:
    <
    make sure you get the modle that has stainless steel eyes if not you will not be able to use brad line>
    According to the Power Pro braided description, it says it:

"Won't cut guides"

It does not say it won't cut guides only if you use stainless steel guides. I do realize that the braided is slightly abrasive. What's the deal?

Also, why do folks like the extra long rods? I use medium heavy 6'6" Berkley Big Game rods and they are fine for MY application. What's the deal on the LONG rods?
    Bill in SC

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill I like the longer rods for drifting but the river anything with lots of backbone will do and the braid will grove you eyelets after alot of use so keep an eye on them and the stainless eeylets seem to hold up better. All of my rods have the stainless eyes except for a few.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, James, I plan to make the year out with the Berkleys I have, but hope to upgrade to the Catfish Safari river rods by next year.
    BB in SC

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    From the Power Pro website:

Older, first-generation superlines were made of abrasive aramids that could cut rod guides and take a toll on equipment. PowerPro SOLVES these problems through super slick, non-abrasive Spectra Fiber composition and unique EBT processing. Other complaints about superlines arose simply because the technology was so new, and few people knew how to take proper advantage of it.

From the folks who use this line exclusively, are you saying their statement is misleading, or wrong?

BB in SC

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Another excerpt from the Power Pro FAQs page.

Will PowerPro cut my guides?
    No. Some of the first superlines were made of Kevlar Aramid. Aramids are very abrasive and would hurt your guides. Spectra Fiber is composed of polyethylene, a very slick plastic, in fact about the only material that is slicker than Spectra is Teflon. This fact combine with PowerPro’s enhanced Body Technology which make a rounder and smoother line, produces a line that is gentler on rod guides than the older style braids.

Bill in SC