Tidewater

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flathunter, Jun 28, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For a long time I thought these reels could not be any good because they were so cheap..I just bought a 20L To put on a ugly stik tiger rod..My first thoughts on this reel are impressive...It seems like a well built reel, with quality parts..I filled it with line and casted it in the back yard and it easily does as good as my more expensive penn reels...Good loud clicker, and a huge handle top off what seems to be my new favorite reel...Time will tell with it's durability, but as a first impression, I think it's great!

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i weighed my options on a penn 310 gti and the tidewater. i bought the penn my buddy bought the tidewater and i love it and my impression is they would out do the penn anyday casting wise...

3. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    A couple of the guys I fish with have made the Tide water their favorite reel. I'm still stuck on my Penn's. I hope you have good luck with it, and be sure to let us know how it handles the load.
    Don

4. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    So far Im impressed with my tidewaters and they do cast great.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are you talking about the $30 Tidewaters? I figured them to be generic. Last year Walmart had them on clearance for $15 & I passed on them. Wish I could take that back.

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    One of the keys with anything made by Shakespeare (at least reel-wise from my experience) is to NOT get them from Wal Mart. Wal Mart I am 99% sure special orders from Shakespeare to get cheaper stuff. It is probably a good thing you passed on the reels because it might have given you a bitter taste for the reel. If you want one, order it from catfish connection. Much better in my opinion.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have 4 tidewaters and have not had a bit of trouble with them!!

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like you may of found a good reel for less money. Keep us posted on how well it works for ya.

9. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i dont see it possible for any kinda company to alter the quality of there product just because its sold at wal mart

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have the Tidewater reel, and i have had it for about 3 yrs, and it is a great reel, no problem at all

11. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, you can see very easily that the Tidewaters that Catfish Connection sells and the Tidewaters that Wal Mart sells arent the same reel very easily; look at the star drag from each one. The drag on the one from CC is a stainless steel star, while the one on the Wal Mart version is a black plastic. Another thing to look at is the product numbers. The Tidewater reels from CC are titled T20L (and T30L if you want the bigger size), while the ones at Wal Mart are titled T20LB. The company has to do this if anything on an item changes, otherwise it would be marked as the same item when it really wasnt. So by those two things alone you can tell that there are some major differences, and Wal Mart's Tidewater's star drag looks really cheaply made too, which brings question to the rest of their reel from that point.

Also, for Wal Mart to sell at its 'low prices' they have to get things cheaper than they would normally. Given that Wal Mart is a giant company, other manufacturers (like Shakespeare) would be very willing to use different parts to make their reels for Wal Mart in order to make them cheaper to sell to them.

12. ohiohawghunter45067

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    the star drags may be different but i can almost gurantee you take those two reels apart put it all in a bag you put them both back together. i can see them changing minor cosmetic things but not internals.

13. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    The internals are what makes the reels cheaper. I have reels made by Shakespeare that were from Wal Mart that are the worst reels ever, while the same thing from a different place is a wonder. Now the 'put the reel stuff in a bag and shake it...' thing is true for Abus, I know that much, but as for Shakespeare I notice a big difference in their performance when something is bought from Wal Mart. If I get some time, and if it is easily proven this way, I will get the schematics and show you. Sometimes they dont label the materials certain things are made out of on those, though.

14. ohiohawghunter45067

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i think its a bad thing for a company to alter there performance to sell something cheaper for a different company.

15. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Only know of one - Fram Filters made there filters cheaper by using more cardboard than metal and type of seal. They make them esp. for wally world.

16. ohiohawghunter45067

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    well i hope angel soft dont alter there toilet paper for wal mart. just bought a 4 pack from there. if they do im gonna be pissed.

17. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Know what you mean. We just got bacK with some. Might check it out.

18. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    They keep rolling back.

19. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Absolutely. I do too, but the companies are in it for the profit, not the morality.

LOL I gotcha there.

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Make sure you double up. It would not be a good thing to have the old, finger punch through :bad_smelly: :waaaht: