TIDEWATER

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FATDAD, Dec 27, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    i am a abu man and have a bunch of 6500s and like them a lot. but was thinking of getting some 7000s for the river because they hold more line, but a little short on the cash... i was thinking of getting a few tide waters any body use them?

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    good reels Charles, i got the 30. no complants so far.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I have both the 30 L and the 30 LA no complaints about neither one but... for the little money difference there is between the two get the 30LA's because there is a whole lot of difference in the two reels as far as solid make up and smooth performance.

4. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I have 6 Tidewater reels I like them pretty good they aren't as good as the two Abu 7000s I have but they hold up well.
    You wont go wrong with them.

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I can cast my Tidewater a country mile. I have no complaints on them.

6. festus

festus New Member

I've been checking into the Tidewater 30 LA reel and different folks on the Internet say it takes at least 3 ounces of weight for it to cast properly. Is this fairly accurate? I'm thinking about buying one strictly for shore fishing to save wear and tear on my Ambassadeur.

7. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    i have a tidewater 30. i've used it for about 3 years with no problems. casts really good. not made as well as my 6500's but good real for a cheap price.

8. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got a Tidewater, and it does the job. I don't like it as much as the 6500 C3's, but it's still a good reel. Another option to the tidewater would be the Daiwa Millionaire.... I haven't fished one of those, but they look like they would be a good reel to have as an extra.

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i know it will chunk 9 oz at bass boats with ease...2 oz no problem either..havent tried anything lighter on it

10. festus

festus New Member

Hey Joey and Jeffro, do you think the Tidewater could also double as a striper reel chucking leadheads and swimbaits from 1-1/2 oz up to about 3 oz in heavy current around dams? I'm thinking about buying one tomorrow whenever I can decide whichever Ugly Stick matches up well with it, preferably at least 9' to 10'. Or I might get one of those surf Power Plus rods. Whatever BPS has in Sevierville. I could also use it for muskie or big cats.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  11. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh, I think it could handle the stripers without any problem. Match it up with a good rod and troll up some stripers. One thing I'll give the real is that it has a really loud clicker.

12. festus

festus New Member

Joey, I'll probably won't be trolling with it as much as casting, but ya reckon it would make a 65-75 (or more) yard cast with 17 or 20 lb. test mono? I fish below a couple of dams from the shore where I make long casts for the stripers. I usually throw big jigs for an hour or so then go catfishing. There are muskie in there too, I hooked a 40+ incher a few weeks ago and it got unhooked. Maybe one of these days I'll go to braided line, but where I fish is so rocky unless I add a big shock leader of flourocarbon I'd be afraid I'd fray and ruin my expensive braid. I can get about 80+ yards with a couple of my big spinning outfits.

13. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't see why it wouldn't cast that far.... IMO it's not as easy to cast as the C3, but with a little practice you can sling it as far as you need to.

14. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I saw a soldier on leave a few weeks ago casting with one of those $35 Tidewaters and was pretty impressed with it for the price. He was using 30 pound braid and using a big 7" or 8" or so plastic swimbait with the built in lead. I'll sleep on it tonight, and probably go ahead and get it tomorrow, but I'll probably go with 20 lb to 25 lb. mono for now. It's about a 80-90 minute drive to the nearest BPS. This is a BIG BPS, never been to one of their stores that size and will probably be like a kid in a candy store.

My Ambassadeur is almost an antique now and I'm rough on my outfits fishing from the bank on rocks mostly. I'll save my C3 for boat fishing.

15. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Be Careful in BPS.... I'm about 70 miles from one.... I don't go there very often. When I do, I go in with a list... I normally have a bunch of things in the basket... then I realize that I haven't gotten anything off the list....:wink:

16. festus

festus New Member

Ha ha, know what you mean. I do the same at Gander Mountain. Except when I go, anymore about all I hit is their bargain bins.

17. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I used to be that way in Academy.... I've actually got to the point that I can walk in, spend an hour, and only buy some hooks..... It takes practice, and will power.....:smile2:

18. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I've had 2 Shakespeare Tidewater SS Spinning Reels for over a year. I love them. For the price I wouldn't get any other reel. I don't use baitcasters so I don't know about those. Never had any problems with either of mine.

19. festus

festus New Member

I attached a photo of an old 1958 Shakespeare Triumph baitcaster. My uncle's father-in-law gave me one of these in the 1960's when he quit fishing. I quit using it in the 1970's after I went to work and could afford more modern reels, but the old Shakespeare '58 will still cast, believe it or not! It hums with a half ounce weight. It wasn't as good as an Ambassadeur, I'm sure, but back then any old Shakespeare was sturdy.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  20. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got an old Shakespeare very similar to that one