Tidewater, or 220 gto

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fisherman94580, Mar 17, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm lookin aroung today to get a reel and was thinking about gettin the skakespeare tidewater 20 baitcaster, or the penn 220 gto. I've heard good reviews on both. Also should I get the 30, or 20 size tidewater for fishing in rivers? Thanks

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Both are good reels, I would prefer to have the Penn 220 but if you pick the Tidewater, go with the better 30LA baitcaster.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The Penn would be the class of the two. But I agree if you choose the Tidewater {and they are good too} I would go with the 30 LA.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If that is your only to choices, then pick the 220GTO. It's american made and will do a good job for you. Keep in cleaned and lubed and it will last forever.:lol:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would get the Penn 220 GTO, they are a better reel.

6. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    if you are casting from shore i would advise against tidewater casting-i have one and i dont use it anymore.Once i bought my first abu garcia 7000c3 there was simply no comparison in my mind.Just my opinion though.GOOD LUCK!

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I have 2 Tidewate 30's and love them.. I haven't had any problems with them.. But I ordered a 220 Penn last weekend because of everyone saing they last a lifetime.. I had 2 Abu 6000 and gave them to a friend.. I didn't like them, they didn't hold enough line.. Spend the extra 20 bucks if you can afford it and get the penn..

8. waitinforwhiskers

waitinforwhiskers New Member

State:
    Port Lavaca, Texas
    I go with penn mostly because I can find the parts easily and inexpensively. I dont like to have a reel that I have to throw away if it breaks.