Tidewater help

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by hookslinger, Jan 15, 2008.

1. hookslinger

hookslinger Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    Help- I have a couple Tidewater 30LB, cast like crap. LIne will tangle in the middle of cast, popping off sinkers. I've tryed different mono 20#-17# and 50# braid. I've had them on 8'- 10'-12' rods. I,ve tryed 2-3-4oz sinkers. The only way to get a descent cast is tighten the spoole down tight with pliers. Does anybody know what i'm doing wrong or do I need to trash them. Is there any upgrade I could do?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive got one and its a good reel but it dosent cast the best thats for sure.I have problems with it birdnesting bad and ive tried adjusting the knob on there from one extreme to the other.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one also, I used it twice and that was enough for me.

4. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Tony,
    I had one of those that did about the same thing as you described. I finally determined it was the level wind that was screwing up. I found mine to just stop at times, winding the line in one place on the spool. I could nt correct the problem so I just junked mine and upgraded to better quality reels like Abu's and Penns. rspd507

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    iv got 3 of them an no problem with them at all sounds to me like you are trying to sling it to hard i set mine when in open spool it will just very drop to the ground when i get crazy an try an fling it half way across the river i get bird nest in it to

6. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    On mine, the main issue is keeping the thumb on the spool with enough pressure. I've been able to cast 8oz. reasonably far, about the same distance as I can cast 1/2oz. on a 5' spinning rig. Most of the time, the reason I get birds nests is that I don't have enought pressure on the spool, or I forget to stop the spool when the weight hits the water.

-- Rich

7. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i bought one-it was my first baitcaster.After i bought my first abu 7000c3 i never turned back.my tidewater now collects dust in my basment awating the day when i decide to start trolling for muskie.buyin that reel was the only bit of bad advice douge stange(in fisherman) ever gave me.lol!

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im with bill, mine work fine while casting. i do have an issue with the wimpy drag though. other than that all 5 of mine work great. i was skepticle when i got my first one over 15 yrs ago but not now. if i find any more without the linecounter ill buyum for sure.

ps: im not a shakespear fan either!

9. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have 2 of them and think the are poorly constructed. I have to use pliers to set the drag and had to take sandpaper to the outside edges of the spool because the the spool was to big causing drag. They are used strictly for spoonbill snagging now.

10. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have several Tidewaters and I like 'em. I always use at least 3 oz. of weight with them and always keep a little pressure on the spool with my thumb when I cast. I've also found that mono (I use 40 lb) doesn't cause as many casting problems as braid for me. Hope this helps.

11. hookslinger

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    thanks for help guys, i'll try some of your ideas. If I can't get them to work, there will be a couple of tidewaters for sale. I'm looking at getting either the abu 7000i or penn 321gti, I like leftys.

12. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thank you all, I think I'll save up for some abu 6000,s:big_smile:

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The best thing you can do with that Tidewater is to remove it from your rod and throw it as far as possible in any direction... "Junk" isn't a strong enough word.

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey bumper how much did that monster way thats in your photo?Id like to hear about that one.:crazy:

15. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    It weighed 82 lbs. and came from the TN River and was released. One more thing, it was caught with a Tidewater :big_smile:.

16. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Now think about it a $29 vs $100 abu. Tide waters work fine for what thery made to do! the reel are great for trolling planer bords bottom fishing have 4 of them and im not throwing them away they catch fish just like the 8 abu 7000s i have :wink:

17. CATFISH HUNTER61

CATFISH HUNTER61 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    this is the reel that i lurned to cast with.i use 20#hi seas red deval line and have no trouble with back lash.

18. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have one tidewater. It cast fine , not as good as my abu but not bad. It is more touchy on the cast. Coincidently it is also my lucky reel. Seems like if I am using it along side my abus the biggest fish of the day will be caught on it. Two years ago caught a 52 lb blue from miss river, the one in my avitar, no problem worked great. JMHO

19. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    i bought one about 18 months ago. its big and bulky but i got used to it pretty fast the only problem i had was about 2 months ago it started slipping between the gears. i figured out the spool was moving to the left when i tightened the tensioner so i added a washer to move it back over and its fine now. i dont like how much pressure it takes for the fish to take line when the clicker is on. i bought 2 of the smaller shakespeare baitcasters (i dont remember the model #) about 6 months ago and they seemed great but theyre already junk. from now on ill spend more and get a garcia ive only heard good things about them.

20. hookslinger

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    Just a little update, I gave up on the tidewaters. Bought a Penn 321gti, havn't used it alot, but I like it so far. I think i'm going to buy another one.