Tidewater Baitcast Fishing Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by countrycat15, Feb 7, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay everybody i was at walmart today and was looking at the baitcast reels and saw a shakespear tidewater baitcast reel and thinking about getting it and putting it on a berkly 8foot pole. has anyone ever used this reel and if so how does it hold up against catfish. i think it is a saltwater reel but i will use it for catfishing. it cost 35 dollars i was wondering if it is worth it.also is it a trolling reel or can u cast it i am wanting it for casting from the bank at santee cooper and local rivers and lakes around here any info u can give will help out alot thanks.

2. WVflatty

WVflatty New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have several tidewater 30l's, I love them . No problems whatsoever on flats as big as 40+ Lbs. 35.00 is a good deal too.Hope this helps Later.:cool:

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have a 30l and really like it. I landed a 51 with it last year with no problem. It has a good loud clicker also. It doesnt cast as well as a abu but the price difference makes it a good reel for the money. It takes a little more practice to get the cast control setting just right. Go for it good money spent.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I own Four of the Tidewater 30L's and they have not given me any trouble at all. They have a loud clicker and for the price they can't be beat!

The tidewater 30LA has a quieter clicker, I had one of those and got rid of it quick.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree with bearcat,they are a little harder to cast and get set right but for the money the tidewater 30L is the best out of the tidewaters in my opinon.I bought one last year and im still having trouble getting used to it but im fairly new to baitcasters so that might not be saying much.I wouldnt reccomend it for a persons first baitcaster.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I love the tidewaters they are really awesome in my opinion and a great price!:)

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for all yer help guys yal have help me out alot

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 4 tidewaters on7' custom rods and they worh great, but the casting will depend on the rod you use

9. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

In my opinion they are cheap garbage. If you must get one, so be it. I bought one, like everyone else,because it was cheap. It had it's drag system murdered by 2 stingrays. Right in the trashcan it went. These reels are all-plastic garbage. Now that I think of it, I also had one that wasn't mine, and it is broken as well. You get what you pay for. A fishing reel is an important tool. If you want quality, you will have to pay more than $30-$40 for it. It's the same as tools... yeah Wal-Mart brand wrenches work just the same as Craftsman wrenches, but which would you rather have?? And just so you all know, I co-own a baitcamp here in Texas, and get to see a lot of people, and hear alot of their complaints. I also do some sort of fishing NEARLY every day of the week. Freshwater and saltwater. That is why I am confident in telling you that Tidewaters are all-plastic Shakespeare GARBAGE. Why anyone would buy one I don't know, when you can get a GOOD SOLID PENN 209 for $10-$15 more. Use some sense and go with the Penn.

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

nhra22, Let me tell you why. For some people that $10-$15 more that you speak of for the PENN, is the differance between being able to get a reel and feed the family, or just getting a reel. It is also possible, that they are going to be fishing for smaller cats.

11. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

If they can afford a computer and Internet access, then they can afford the extra $10-$15 for a real that is 5 times the quality. I seriously doubt that any of these people are "fishing to feed the family" -- then running inside and getting online.

12. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

Fishing for small catfish is no reason to buy junk... hum.....

13. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I am highly suspect of anyone that won't fill out their profile. Any one can be a expert hiding behind a handle.Fill yours out and tell why you are a expert.

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have tidewater's the work well for me. I do not belittle anyone for using a zebco. penn, abu or your hand and hook and line. Give the review and leave it at that!!:confused: :confused:

15. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I agree with dafin,and countrycat15 go for it I have never used one but sounds like nhra22 is out numbered. Go with the majority.

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    For some here that may have a small budget $100 plus could buy a few outfits.

I'm guility of less quaility equipment then what I'd like to be using but I'm petty rough on poles and reels and am ready to replace as needed. Yes you get what you pay for but I'm still not ready to pay $250.00 per outfit X4 = $1000.00 vs 4 for $360. The sky is the limit if you want to spend $800.00 per outfit I'm sure you can do it easy. ;)

17. WhiskerfishLou

WhiskerfishLou New Member

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    Ok, I'll feed into it... :p It can go both ways, but even with the "plastic" reels, it all depends on how you use it. If you rip with it and trash it when you use it, sure, it's not gonna last long, whether it be out of a Cracker Jack Box or a show case of a quality name brand store. I've had expensive reels disintigrate right before me on fish much smaller than it was designed to handle. I've had Cracker Jack box reels hold up for years. The average has played out for me and a lot of others to come down to this point. You don't necessarily have to spend bigger bucks to get quality. Do your research before you buy. Save your pennies to get what you decide on, if you have to. Treat it well. Keep it cleaned and lubed, protect it from getting banged around, and don't horse those big ones in. If a person is a true professional in the sport fishing industry, one would be concerned with how they relate to others and to demean a person because of their buying choices isn't a way to be successful or respected. The evaluation of the reels is one thing, but the evaluation of a human being in this forum should be restricted to that of encouragement, education and respect. Speak to others as you would want to be spoken to. If I wanted to be talked to like I was a moron for buying something another person wouldn't, I could go anywhere, country or city and find it. Obviously, there's enough of a market for Tidewaters, Zebco's, Penns, Garcia, etc to keep them all in business. One guys "junk" is another's "jewels". Some of us could do a little bit better relating to others, while offering an opinion of a product.
    Just my 3 cents worth -- ;) :)

18. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Very well said.

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Well said Louis, very good point!

20. r_bray89