Tidewater 30L ???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kycatman01, Aug 28, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a Tidewater 30L baitcasting reel. I can't get it to cast real well. What weight sinkers does everyone use( I fish in the Ohio River with it from the bank)? I believe the clicker is a little too strong. The reel has to be almost pulled in before it will work. I have the line tensioner knob as loose as it will go. Any suggestions??

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i just got 2 had to oil them up then they will cast out fine

3. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Bought my first one this year ,have it spooled with 30# line .It seems to cast well on a 7' ugly stik.I also am using 4oz. sinkers JMO.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm not very framiliar with the tidewater but there should be a brake on it. Depending how tight that is it will really affect your casting and it could also cause it to take a lot of tension to pull the line out alarm.

5. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    ive got two of em and i use 2oz on em, i dont know why it wouldnt be casting well unless you put cheap line on it i use 20# big game or (once i get it) 20# cajun red

as to your clicker are you turning the clicker on and then puting it in freespool, cuz thats how it works

hope this helped

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Mine didn't cast too good at 1st... the more you use it the better it will get.. I like mine better than my garcia's now..

7. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a couple of Penn reels, and they have some stiff, loud clickers, but in free spool, the clicker will give before the rod will go. Heres a test. Put the rod and reel flat on the floor. Engage the clicker and put it in free spool. Now pull the line at the end. If the rod starts comin towards ya, there must be a problem in there somewhere. Like I said, I think the Penn clickers are the stiffest out there, yet when I do this, the clicker always sounds and the spool plays out line. Oiling/Greasing might help, but they should never be so tight as to lift a rod/reel combo in freespool.

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 5 of them 1 with 30# Cajun red and 4 with 20# big game ans use 2 oz. weight's. Make sure the line tension is set right. I have had no problems with any of mine, but I still like my Abu 7000.

9. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I got mine this year and i love it. Probably one of the best reels i have ever used.Just have to get it fine tuned with the 2oz. weights that i use.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If in doubt and you can't seem to get it adjusted correctly, take it back and get an exchange. It is possible that you got a reel that may have a slight defect. Other than that keep on trying to adjust it. I wouldn't take it apart if you plan on returning it though.

11. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Is the clicker too strong part of the casting problem or an additional problem? If part of the casting problem...turn the clicker off while casting.

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i bought 2 of them this year and had to take both of em bakk because when i put it in free spool to cast and started the cast it would kick back in gear and make a bad grinding sound. any body know what causes this problem?

btw-they were both 30lb

13. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I bought 2 of em a couple months ago. I have already had the drag go ou ton one. You have to tighten it as hard as you can to get it to do anything...I'm buying penns :big_smile:

14. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    I just bought the first and last tidewater 30L . had to take it back because every time i would cast it would make a bird nest regardless of how tight you set the spool. put in some money and bought a ABU Garcia 6500 c3 best money i could spend.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    not to sound like everyone else Ialso own one and mine is mounted on a 12ft catstalker rod with 25 lb line never have had problems with it id take it for an exchange

16. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks to all! Your responses and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

17. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have one mounted on a surge rod and i have a 320 gti penn reel mouted on a surge rod and i like my tide water better

18. just_joe

just_joe New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have two 30L's one on a 10' water eagle rod and the other on a 10' ole whiskers i have had no major problems with either of them other than my own stupidity, other than not being able to cast as far as i'd like, i'm pleased with both of them