Tide water reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kaskas, Dec 12, 2005.

1. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi guys, just bought a tide water TW30LA2 from wallyworld the other day and am impressed by the look and feel of the reel. My question is I was thinking that the level wind on mine feels rather loose compared to my other reels. I have used abu 6000, 6500c3 and 7000. I really like the 7000 on a quantum bigcat pole for the bigger water. Is the a manufactures defect or is this common to the model? I just looked at it again and I believe it has about 1.5 to 2mm play both ways at the top of the level wind where it follows agroove, compared to my abu 7000 that has maybe 0.5mm play.
    Also, was wondering if you guys that use these reels thought that they would work well in high current discharge from a lock and dam. :) I mean that for the money I'll go ahead and try one though. Thanks

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All of them are rather lose on the tidewaters, The penns I have are the same way.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    All of mine are loose, have that way for years. :D

4. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Same here all mine are kinda loose as well.As far as using them in a heavy current situation.....the clicker wont hardly hold the spool in heavy current{if thats what you are asking?}.ive tighted mine down as much as i could and the current would still pull the clicker.one of my tidewaters current will even pull drag when the drag is tightend all the way down but its gettin old anyway. still a good reel for the price,ive landed alot of big fish with the tidewaters.

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Kaskas. I seen in another post you were talking about fishing below the lock and dam at alton. I have fished the river below there with my tidewater and the clicker held just fine. The reel is fairly new so the clicker may still be stronger than others with more use. Fishing from bank may be different though.
    I caught the biggest blue for me to date on it. The blue weighted 51. It is the fish in my profile pic.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    my tidewaters are the same way bro. in heavy current i just back off the drag and set the clicker,while engaged. they have weak spool tentioners on them. either thumb the spool or tighten the drag before the set. as far as a good real for the $ im impressed. one of mine is about 15 years old and has tamed many a big flathead!

7. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the reply guys. Shoot, I mean for 40 dollars it looks pretty good. I think I'll match it up with a cattmax or quantum big cat and 300 yrds 80lb super braid. Thats a pretty good setup any day of the week.

8. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have a tidewater that has served me well for snagging large fish in the Mississippi dam tailwaters. Many of the fish (asian bighead carp and spoonbill) are 20 to 30 lbs and fight for a long time in the fast current. Repeated casting works fine too although it is not quite as good for distance as more expensive models from other companies. I would like it better if it would retrieve at 5 to 1. Good Buy! Hannibal Mike Say, does anyone know who supplies gears, drag washers, bearings, etc for Tidewaters?

9. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Hey Guy,
    I have caught numerous Stergeon on the Columbia River on my two Tidewater 30's and never had a real problem. Some have been at least 92" long. Yes the levelwind seems loose compared to my Ambassadeurs, but to date have not had any real problems. They have had a real workout and have held up fine. Particulary since they cost about $40. compared to my ABU 7001HS that I paid $150.00 each. Good luck fishing & don't worry they are good reels. :)

10. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I love my Penn's,but all this positive talk convinced me to head for Wally World today.Reel seems fine to me,put it on a 7' ugly stick and spooled with 30 lb Big Game. I May have just hit the jackpot. Thanks for all the good input.BOC members are the best, most well informed bunch of fishermen/women anywhere. Most other fishing groups are reluctant to share info,of any kind.
    Its great to be a member of the BOC. (KEYSTONE 4)

11. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    If you fellas want a rod that seems to go hand and hand with the tidewater reel check out the shakspear sturdy sticks that catfish connection sells.they are only like 16 bucks and are suposadly made for snaggin but i have one on my 30L and it is comparable to the more expensive rods.only down fall is the lack of eyes but im confidant the sturdy stick will handle any fish ill ever get ahold of.

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have 4 tidewater 30L's and am very pleased with their proformance. I bought a tidewater 30LA and the clicker was too weak, so back it went so I could get another 30L.

13. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i have 8 30L tidewaters i have used for two yr no problems i drift fish santee mostly have cout numerse cats up to 70lb

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Kaskas the tide water rels you are talking about at waalyworld is it the black or the red version, I believe its the black one. What I was wondering is what is a good rod combination with this particular reel?

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I've got Shakespheare ugly cats for mine.....and they are one of my favorite rod and reel combo's. ;)

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    My Wife has 2 Berkley Big Game M/H 7' + Tidewater30L= 56.00 each Not a bad combo for the price !!!
    I have one on a Penn Roddy Gatortail M/H 7' and one on a ABU Brute M/H 7'. These are all good combo's for the price!!