Tidal Water Dilema

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BIG GEORGE, Jul 4, 2008.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Been fishin tidal waters for as long as I been fishin. Had a situation the other evenin that I have never ran accross and I need some input. Heres the situation. Tides been comein in strong for about 4 hours or so and will continue to come in for another 2. Boat is anchored down good and tite with the back of the boat pointed with the flow of the current. All systems are go. Lets get the rods out the back and catch some cats. 8 ounces of lead on a carolina rig. Got a good spread goin with 6 rods. Now here comes the weird part. Like I said the boat is locked down titer than a frogs butt. It is not movein with the current one bit. However the baits in the water are walkin back toward the boat after about 10 minutes. I'm tellin ya it was strange. They were walkin rite back toward the boat in the opposite direction of the current. Reel em up and they were rite under the boat and in some cases beyond the front of the boat. Water was about 25 to 35 feet deep on a clam bed. Left me scratchin more than my head. Talk to me! LOL!

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    George, I've seen the same thing happen. Sometimes it's caused by an eddy that doesn't seem to affect the surface, but usually I notice the bottom current will start changing direction before the top when the tide gets close to changing.
    Or, at least that's the way I interpret it. Weird, though, ain't it?

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I hear ya Tom. LOL! Have experienced that many times due to where I set up. Lots of times I'll target that type of situation cause the bite is insane at the tide turn. Whats driven me nuts is the fact that there was nothin within a 100 yards conture wise on the bottom to cause that. Thanx for your inout.:confused2:

4. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    George. I have the same thing happen to me, but in a lake, with bobbers. I like to fish right on the hydrilla line with a bobber. Ill find a spot where the wind and waves are blowing right up against the hydrilla, and tie off about 20 ft from that, with my back to the wind.

You would think my bobber would go with the wind and waves, and blow right up against the hydrilla (which is what I want), but sometimes it doesn’t. Because i have a 3 - 4 ft lead, the under toe going the opposite direction will carry my bait, which pulls the bobber right back towards me. It’s the craziest thing to experience, watching the bobber bounce over the waves against the wind, right back to me..

I'm not sure if our experiences are cause by the same anomaly, but i thought i would share that with ya.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just a bump up. Help a brother out. LOL!

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    George This may not help but I was fishing a tidal river here in SC just this week and I had a couple of my rods do the same think and it turned out to be Blue Crabs draggin the bait. The got so bad they were eatin my live bait and cut bait. Sorry not more help.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Yep. Seen that before and its cool as hell. LOL! This was every line we had in the water. I'm just gonna write it off to the remnants of the 60's. LOL!:wink:

8. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Could it be that Undertoad?

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    George, ya know how on a river you get counter currents/eddies, so that part of the river appears to be running upstream? Same deal.

10. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like that explanation best, may not be the most accurate but I like it!

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    BG, an eddy can travel for miles.
    We get eddies that will spin off the gulfstream and move towards land.
    Sometimes 50 miles or so. The cool thing about it is you can wind up catching dolphin right off the beach and some other species that would otherwise hang with the stream.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats gotta be it. I've fished this spot before on out goin tide with no problems at all. THANX TO EVERYONE!:wink:

13. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    George, are you fishing in a river that has tidal flow? If so, there are many times the fresh water will flow out from the natural flow of the river while the lighter salt water will flow inward over it. Sounds incredible, but it happens in the river I live on too.