Tidal Water Channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by BIG GEORGE, Oct 20, 2005.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I fish a tidal river, to be exact the Delaware river. Its a very large body of water that is affected by tides that change every 6 hours or so. Its full of channels and whites. The tide has a major impact on how you fish a body of water like this. As we know channels are not a big current lovein cat. They tolerate it less than a blue and far more than a flathead. With the flow of water changein as it does in tidal conditions ya gotta take a few more things into consideration. That structure that ya always work the north side of may be better worked on the south side when the tide turns. Your presentation of baits in a good hole will be affected. The island that ya like to fish a certain side of will also be more productive on a tide turn. I've also found that workin drop offs into deeper channels will also be more productive an hour or so rite before the tide is about to turn. Good inside and outside bends also need to be worked differently. They love to lurk in ambush points waitin for that meal to come bye and these places are going to vary with the tide. I've found that after a good rain combined with a full moon ya may as well stay outa the main river and target the feeder creeks. The water isn't movein as fast and they will get up in there for an easy target. Ain't nothin like a creek runnin into the river when the tide is goin out. Find yourself a good saddle or structure that will break up the current and hang on. Rock jetties and wing dams also need to be worked on opposite sides according to the tide. Also arm yourself with the times that the tide will be changeing and set yourself up accordingly. It will give ya more time to fish and less time runnin around in the boat. We all have our honey holes and specific areas we like to target on the bodies of water that we fish. All I'm sayin is if ya are fishin tidal water add it to your plan of attack and I'm positive it will make for a more productive outing.

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Big Timber creek is my favorite catfishing hole in NJ.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Tan. Ya need to get on down and try Racoon and Oldmans.

4. wildman36

wildman36 New Member

State:
    oregon
    thanks for the advice,I fish in a small tidal river and the waters still pretty cold so its been pretty slow here I gotta move around more and find the fish ..

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    George,

How far is that from Philly.
    I bet you don't have flatheads YET:) right?
    Let me know if you even wanna catch a Philly Flathead???

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Rumor has it that they are in the Delaware. Never seen nor caught one. I'm rite accross the river from Filthydelphia! LOL!

7. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    it is hard to find bait around here on hi tide unless you have a gill net. I prefer to hit the water at the end of the outgoing tide to give me time to collect enought bait and then get set up on my spots