Tidal River catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BIG GEORGE, Nov 30, 2006.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I would like your input on how you go about catchin our favorite fish in a tidal river situation. Your strategy,what ya look for and when the tide turns what changes do ya make. I know this doesn't apply to everyone.
    THANX

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Big George, excuse me for being dump but what is a tidal river?

3. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I like to fish tidal rivers when the tide is coming in.... usually bait fish come in with the tide. Which causes the cats to become very active and chase bait.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    George,
    I do a lot of fishing in tidal water here in south Georgia and it can be very productive. I like to fish the mouths of feeder creeks where they join into the main river. It will usually create a deep hole at the mouth. I do prefere to fish the outgoing tide but the incoming is also productive. I just dont like to fish on dead high or low, seems like the bite slows down. Finger mullet are a killer bait ......dead or alive. I also dont go on the full moon due to the tidal surge and current. Sometimes I just ride up and down the river and look for drop offs adjacent to sand bars and deep holes on river bends. And dont pass up the bridges.......seems like they like to pile up like chord wood around those. Good luck !!

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't fish the tidal water like I used to but when I did a few years back I would hit the river just before high tide and get set up to fish the mouth of the creeks running into the river. I would fish at the mouth and just down stream of it and I would do great! It's like they just lay there and wait for the bait to go back into the river. I would use shad for bait as I always do except when I target flatheads and then it's live bait.

6. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I 100% agree with Ken on this. I would add shrimp, squid, shad, and perch to my arsonal. Good luck