Tidal Flathead Catfish help

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by kenlaw76, Aug 6, 2009.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me any kind of info. on catching Flats in tidal waters. Does it matter what tide it is the night you fish (high/low), or do you have to fish on certin nights where the tide is in your favor. I would assume you have to fish structure and holes during the day but could I fish the flats at night even if the current is flowing pretty good? I don't have a boat so that will make it a little tougher. Any help would be great.:big_smile:

2. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    hello ken.......i fish tidal water a good bit.............i my experience with flatheads.............the only difference the tide makes is when its dead..................the fishing is really for crap............flatheads will be behind the current breaks..............the dont like the current...........they love black water.........find you a creek mouth..........this also provide a current break from the river........i catch flatties on either tide during any moon phase.........to me.......easier to catch in tidal water than between the dams.........and i live 3 miles from lock 3...............its all about the position....some nights better than others..........the bait is the big issue.........use the right bait theyll come to you!fish the flats on top of the holes between the hole and the bank!...........nose of boat up current...........when the current changes direction.......reposition to the other end of the hole....................dont target the flathead in his home this time of year..............target him where he feeds!:0a26:

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It don't matter what the tide is doing. It also seems that the slack tide doesn't bother the flatheads as much as the blues. Hard to catch a blue on slack tide but the flatheads can still be caught. Fish around some type of cover during the day and then at night look for pockets of slack water, that's where the bait will be and therefor where the flats will be:wink: Also, you may want to send a PM to JayinSC, he's a master tidal flathead fisherman.

4. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    i totally agree with wes.............and he knows a good bit about river fishing!:wink: