Ticks! - Any advice on keeping them away?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Derick, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Derick

Derick New Member

State:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    any advice on how to keep the ticks off, everytime i go to one of my spots i pull two or three off me when i get home. are there any sprays or creams maybe? i have been trying to wear light colored clothes so i can spot them easier. i was under the assumption that they mostly live in the woods, you know, where the animals are, but this is a roadside spot and the weeds arent very tall either, but im sure they are from this spot. i am convinced that it must be tick mating season or something, since i seem to bring home more ticks than fish!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    When you get home stand naked in front of a big mirror. The tics will think its somethin fresh and jump off ya. Problem solved. LOL!

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Permathrin works great, but only spray it on clothes, shoes not skin.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    George.I think that you are frighting them off.peewee-williams

5. Derick

Derick New Member

State:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    the old naked mirror trick huh, i tried that once, it had more of a negative effect on my girlfriend than the ticks, go figure!

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never worry about them. I just grab them when they run accros my neck making a mad dash for my hair. lol :crazy: Take a good hot shower when you get home, ticks don't like water, and they will slid right off.

7. Derick

Derick New Member

State:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
  8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I've always heard that if you put Duct Tape on the back of your watch it will keep the ticks off, LOL!!!
    If there is any way you can run a weed eater on that place, this would help a bunch. I would also get some Deep Woods Off, this has helped keep them off of me when I squirrel hunt.

9. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I just wear jeans and a long sleve shirt, and hat. Ya don't get much when you do that.

10. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Any time I've been out in the woods, fields or on a creek here in the south and I only get 2 or 3 ticks off I think I've had a great day. There are places here (lots of places) where you can watch a pair of kacki

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Was trying to edit my last post and hit the wrong button, sorry.
    was saying, there are places here you can watch your pants legs turn black from seed ticks, I use the Permathrin you only spray on your clothes and sprays with Deet if it 40 percent or higher content. We get to fight ticks here, some years. 9 or 10 months.

12. I feel keeping ticks off and removing them is a completely necessary part of serious fishing. Here is a list of some sites that offer some great tips and even a doodad or a thingamajig to help remove them.

http://www.tick123.com/

If you think your man enough to take a concentrated outdoors spray here is a good one.
    http://www.isserpr.com/tick-off.htm

Some great simple info on ticks.
    http://www.offprotects.com/lyme-disease/

Removal of ticks.
    http://camping.about.com/cs/frequentquestions/ht/ticks.htm

I would say if your that worried about ticks being on you you should just skip the human spray's and creams option and just go directly to the dog and cat products. Couldn't be that bad, but I don't think I would recommend prolonged exposure.

13. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I have always heard that if you eat some matches that the ticks will get on you but will not bite you because of the sulfer. Ive never tried it but I do know people that swear by it.

14. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    I have a friend who works for the phone company who wears a flea and tick coller on his ankle. swears it works.

15. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Prior to going to SERE school we were told to eat match heads and sprinkle sulphur on our food. I never had a tick problem. I use permethian on all my clothes and I do not have a problem (DO NOT PUT THIS ON YOUR SKIN). Deep woods off is great for your skin.

16. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've heard if you sprinkle some sulphur powder on your pants leg and shoe it will keep them off. Another good way is send your wife/girlfriend/fishing buddy ahead of you and he/she will get them all.

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Bathe using Sargents flea and tick shampoo, it works. Also use lots of garlic in your food or might try taking garlic pills.

18. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Spread some sulfur around that will run them off and keep them from coming back.

19. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I turkey hunt a lot and sometimes nap on the ground.

Since I started using Permetrin on my clothes I have only had one tick in 7 years and I think it hopped off the turkey onto my hand.

Permetrin is the active chemical in Permanone spray you can get at Wal Mart.

There is also a yard spray that has Permetrin as the active ingredient. I can't recall the name but I use it every spring. I lay all my camo out in the back yard and hose them down with the sprayer attached to the garden hose.

Go to the garden department at WalMart and read the ingredients on the yard sprays. It comes in agray plastic bottle that attaches to garden hose.

Gooobbbbbbllllleeeeee

20. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yea you could go ahead and burn down the forest! thats not good to do though. i really dont think you can do much but keep pullin em off