Tick removal

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Jul 4, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    please read completely before useing info or jumping to conclusions
    thanks

i recieved this email today and thought wow this is great
    something easy and safe for getting rid of these nasty critters that occasionally find there way on us at the lakes and in the woods and fields

Easy Tick Removal
    A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to
    share-- And it really works!!
    I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way
    to remove a tick. This is great , because it works in those places
    where
    it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in
    the
    middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.
    Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick
    with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds
    (15-20),the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the
    cotton ball when you lift it away.
    This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was
    frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and eas
    ier for
    me.
    Unless s omeone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be
    damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for
    advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach
    it
    with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back
    to say, "It worked!"
    Please pass on >>>> everyone needs this helpful hint.

well not true as you will see when you read the following .
    as usual its best to thouroughly check out an email
    item before you assume it to be true even something as seemingly helpful can turn out to be bad for you.

Use latex exam gloves to examine your pet for ticks. Examine using good lighting.
    Check your pet daily for ticks by thoroughly feeling for any lumps under the hair. Pay close attention to ears, around face, eyes, legs, and belly.
    Ticks will range in size from the size of a sesame seed to the size of a fingernail (engorged).
    When is tick is found embedded in the skin, use a fine pointed tweezers at the point of attachment, and grasp firmly. Remember to wear latex gloves when doing this.
    Using slow, steady, and firm traction, pull the tick straight out from the skin.
    Cleanse the skin with mild soap and water.
    If part of the tick breaks off, you can try to remove it as you would a splinter, but it is probably best to leave it alone. The body will 'eject' it in time.
    Place the tick in a jar of alcohol, noting the date, in case of future illness. Tick identification and location of tick infestation will be important.
    Tips:
    Do NOT use a match or caustic materials to try to smother the tick or get the tick to 'back out'. This doesn't work, and may be causing the tick to regurgitate more saliva (and potential pathogens) into the skin.
    Talk to your vet about effective tick control (spray, powder, spot-on, or collar) for your pet.
    Check pet daily, especially in the spring when ticks are most common.

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    john i normally get them in the never regions in NOMANS land !!!!
    dont guess you could show me how you get your teeth there could you??
    are you useing dentures:lol:

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Grandpa would always light a match and blow it out. Then stick it on the tick and it would pull away. Maybe an old hillbilly remedy. LMAO

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx for more great advice

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Just break out the old Bowie knife if you have one, if not, use the filet knife and cut out a 3 inch circle and throw the sucker away.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I saw something like that on the internet I was trying to get rid of one. I used Vasoline then saw that it doesnt work so I wiped it off and used tweezers (had to dig a little :angry: ) and pulled the sucker right off. Your also supposed to put the Tick in some Rubbing alcohol for a few days incase you or your pet start to get feverish (i.e. Lime Disease) that way you can take the tick to the Hosp. to see if that is what it is.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the good info!

8. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I use my wife's fingernail polish.I put a drop on the tick and then when it dries I pull it off and have never had any problems with it...

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    That souped up Vaseline they call Vick's Vapor Rub or Mentholatum seems to work better.If they have been there awhile,they may take awhile to release.peewee-williams

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    The one that I had this year it was only there a couple of hours so it really didnt have time to set. I was able to pull it out without much trouble.

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And I thought this was about H20 Mellon or Flathunter......LMAO!

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks DRC,another great post!!!

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmm... I have found a couple of dozen of them on me so far this year.

Fortunately I can usually feel them walking on me so none of them have gotten the chance to bite yet.

Chiggers on the other hand... my legs have been yelling at me for a couple of months now.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know anything about this but was thinking of trying a ice cube on a tick.

15. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I've always heard that the WORSTE thing you can do it try to "pull" it off, cause the head will almost always remain imbedded in the skin and cause an infection. When I lived in KY. I got them on me from time to time while out fishing and if I recall correctly (it was a lot of years ago!) I just put lighter fluid on them and waited for them to pull out, then picked them off and killed them. They don't pull out imidiately, but as I recall after several minutes they did.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Your advice is very useful but just a day late. I had to get one off my wife yesterday. I used John's method and now she's complaining about the teeth marks leaveing a scar. Ya just can't please some folks! She's lucky I didn't use my Zippo. It wouldn't have left as big a scar but it would have taken awhile for the hair to grow back. Who needs a bikini wax!

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    years ago a aunt of mine's brother in law came to her house and visited for a few days from chicago.
    well anyone whos been around missouri arkansas woods knows all too well
    about dog ticks they will get on a dog or cattle and swell up like a gray grape. we used to pluck em off and squash em like grape jelly:big_smile:

actually there isnt anything called a dog tick but when you see them in this gorged state they are usually on a dog or a cow .
    ive had a couple on me before that were full.....ever hear of being full as a tick?
    a full tick when dropped will sit there unable to move there little legs move but there fat body wont allow them to touch the ground.

well anyhow my aunts guest went walking in the woods with my uncle
    and when they left to return home after a few days he noticed something grey in his bellybutton heheheeeheeheee
    he went to the E.R. in a panic as he thought his guts were comeing out through his belly button he had a bit of a belly on him and thought he had over done it while on vacation.:embarassed:

18. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    First heat up a pair of tweezers with a lighter then grab the tick and gently wiggle it from side to side, do not pull hard or out on it. Do this until the tick is worked out of the skin. Don't yank it directly out, the body will seperate from the head.

19. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats pretty hilarious. thanx for all the tick info ya'all

20. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    When I get ticks, I take a bottle of rubbing alcohol and stick it over the tick for a few seconds and pretty soon he'll start backing out.

It smothers them and they back out trying to get air.

I've done this for 20 some years and never had any problems afterwards.

Ken