Tick Removal - Not sure where to post

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by KansasKatter, Sep 12, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am not sure the best place to post this, so if it should be moved, or if it would be visited more somewhere else, feel free to move it.

I had this emailed to me a while back, and had the chance to try it this weekend at it works like a charm. I know we have all had ticks, they go right along with catfishing!:confused2:

had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great , because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc. Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and in KY, that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me. Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

2. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    Thanks for sharing. I have always just pulled them off with tweezers. My mom got one on her side one time and when she pulled it off the head was still embedded. She had a rough time and had to go to the doctor due to infection.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing that was worthy in the past departs; no truth or goodness realized by man ever dies, or can die. ~~Thomas Carlyle.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the link, Jeb. I have found Snopes a great place to check the validity of E-mails touting one thing or another.

The liquid-soap-tick-removal fix sounds much like the petroleum-jelly-tick-removal thing we used to do, much with mixed results.

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think applying anything that keeps the tick from breathing will make them pull out which is better then pulling them off by hand when imbedded because it will more then likely leave the head and like was said before it will get infected.

6. Locke

Locke New Member

State:
    IL
    I can't stand ticks. Before I go shore fishing or somewhere where there is tall grass I spray my shoes and bottom of my pants well with OFF bugspray. Works pretty good.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ticks are tough ----- But what about chiggers. I get them every year when we go to TN. FISHING.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    We used to use kerosene to take care of chiggers. Turpentine might work, too. Ain't pretty...use with care, but it should work!

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yeah, I've gotten to where I almost won't walk across a grassy area without spraying my shoes and pant legs. In my experience, a good 25%+ Deet based repellent is about 100% effective for keepin ticks and chiggers off.

Now, for getting ticks off I can't offer any great advice. Chiggers are the worst, but at least they don't give you diseases like a tick or mosquito could.

10. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
  11. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    I have only had 1 tic on me and that was aftr I moved to AL, thankfully. At least I was out of Lyme Diease Country! We used twezers to remove it. I read the snopes page & I have to agree with everything it says. You would be taking your chances by trying anything but pointy tweezrs as close to the skin as possible. Lift upward with a smooth motion, don't snatch or jerk. save the tick, in case you get sick.
    Lisa (NYC Paramedic - Retired)