Thursday 9-11 Skippie Trip to Greenup L & D

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by catfishjohn, Sep 9, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Me and Katfish Ken are gonna try our luck at stocking up on some Skipjack Thursday morning down at the Greenup Dam. We figure while were there we may as well take a couple cat poles and try our luck for some catfish. If anybody is down that way we'll be down there probably between 9-10am, sometime after Ken's appt. Stop by and shoot the breeze with us or stock up on some Skippies. After we get done catching skippies we'll probably move down river and set up for some big cats. Can't guarantee we'll get either but we'll have a good time trying!
    Hope to meet up with some of you all there!!! If you're gonna try and make it make a post so we can be on the look out.
    I'm gonna put this in the OH section also so our Northern Brothers might see it.

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    We always have a good time the bait is a big +. These catfish down south here may not bite skipjack for nothing never seeing them before. BUT that might make them more attracted to them.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'd say they will eat them. The skippies are an oily fish like shad and no cats can resist shad!!!:wink::cool2:

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Careful with that throw net or are you jig fishing them skips ?

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Think we're jigging for them .Who knows we may end up netting them.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    We'll be jig/sabiki rig fishing for them. I'll take my cast net just in case and my wally world special net to scoop shad up off the wall. Whatever it takes to get some bait!!!:wink::smile2:

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Was going to ask If I needed to bring my cast net? Sounds like you got it covered.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Yep, I'll bring mine. If it gets hung up or something its old so it won't be much of a loss.:smile2:

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Is there a lot of structure down there John????

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    2 friges 1 washer 3 boat hulls a garden nome and a bloated spoonbill I think it has a wad of stinkbait in its mouth :wink:

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Dang Lance you talking about my front yard ,or the structure at Greenup L/D

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    LMAO!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2: Good one Ken and Lance!!!:wink::smile2:
    Not really sure about how much structure there is. I'd say the main thing is probably the big rocks and the occasional body or 2...:crazy::eek:oooh::smile2:

On a different note, I have my 55 gallon bait barrel up and running. Its ready for bait now.:cool2: At least we should have some kind of live bait from now on. I just gotta get the filter system rigged up. I figure every few days I'll just drop the hoses from the pump/filter in and let it run for about 15-20 minutes. They are above ground filters so it won't take long to clean out my bait tank.:wink::cool2:

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Cool man!!! I've got the tank that I had in my truck sitting at the edge of the porch. Got a little pump in it out of an old yard fountain we use to have. They work pretty well. Wish I had a whole barrel. Did you cut the top out or did you cut a slot up the side???

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I cut the top off. It should work pretty well. I'm gonna try to get some gills tomorrow and see how it works. If they still have them( 55 gal barrels) I can get them for $10 apiece. If you want we can stop by Thursday and see if they have any. Its real close by here.

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    We'll probably stop by and see.I want to build a stand for one to lay on its side. It's hard some time to corner bait in a circle.:crazy:

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I haven't seen your yard ! You tell me where you live I can go to weather.com and see exactly where your food plot is !:cool2::wink:

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I had heard that shad kill themselves in bait tank that has corners by running into the corners .

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have read that to . I use the bait tank mostly for other types of fish anyway. Bluegill suckers carp creek chubs and such. Don't use shad much unless I catch them fresh when I hit the water.

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Here is a link to a areal photo of my food plot
    http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=17&X=1659&Y=20913&W=1
    Every thing in the photo is family owned. Thought I'd save you the trouble

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Hey Ken, I may have talked my Dad into joining us for a while. He's never caught a skippie or ever fished for them. I'm trying to turn him into a catfisherman, his brother in law has almost turned him into a bass fisherman.
    I'm trying to talk him into going this evening for a while.