Thunderstorm

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Myname, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Steve, my oldest boy, and I went fishing on the Green River in west Kentucky Saturday evening. Sky was clear, temp near 100, and very humid. We put out 30 jugs and noodles - baited with cured chicken livers and live minnows. Started fishing with rod and reel, got a few bites, caught two small blues and one small channel cat. Wind was picking up, black clouds rolling in, lightning all over the place. We decided to run back down river to the truck and wait it out for a while, hoping the storm would pass. It didn't, got worse. Put the boat on the trailer, left the jugs on the river (all properly tagged with my name, address, and phone number), and went home. Hated to leave the jugs, figured they would all be lost, but storm was too bad to try to pick them up.

Sunday morning - still a light rain, but no lightning. We unloaded the rods and other gear from the boat, didn't take any bait; just wanted to find and pick up our jugs, if the barges and storm had left us any. We found all our jugs and had SIXTEEN (16) nice blues, ranging from four pounds up to twenty-four pounds, and one head from a small channel that the turtles had gotten to. I truly wanted to bend over and let Steve kick my a$$ for not bringing the rods and more bait. I have no pictures, we didn't take a camera, and I didn't want to drive twenty miles to take pictures and maybe cause those fish to die. We kept three smaller fish for the freezer and turned the rest loose, all alive and kicking. Next time, no matter the weather or circumstances, we will have our rods and bait with us!

Have a nice day.

2. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Nice catch- I know how it feels storms have a funny way about them - I went Striper fishing in early June up the Etowah and was'nt even getting hit. Lo and behold this horrible thunder and lightning starts and BOOM . My line started ripin off my reel like mad. I ended up catching 11 stripes and 4 hybrids (8-35lb range)in 2 hours throwing long A's. Granted... it was scary, but as a fisherman I could't tear myself away

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congratulations on a great fishing trip!

I've never been west of the Rockcastle, and I have yet to fish there either. My great grandfather used to head down from Mt. Victory to fish the Rockcastle with trotlines. He never failed to bring home a bucket-full of cats for supper. I always thought that the cats suffocating in his bucket was simply unbearable. Funny, it doesn't bother me anymore!

How is the Green River area now? Is it worth an out-of-stater visit? Last I heard, Mr. Peabody's coal train had done hauled it away (and I ain't kidding). :lol:

4. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Green River is beautiful right now; slight rise from the heavy rain. As a matter of fact, we were fishing about a half mile above Paradise, where Mr. Peabody did do a lot of "hauling away". The river is fine and the Paradise stripper pits have a lot of good fishing and hunting in them.

Have a nice day.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Thunderstorms - oh, oh, something has to be causing the noise. Usually the zig zag stuff. It don't mix well with water and usually hits the highest thing. Can't think of much on water that has height except, oh, oh, bad news. Remember crabbing in the York River one summer. Storm came up and my buddies left. Not me...it was still about 10 miles away. Wife kept up her yapping until I finally decided it would be better to get out of the water than to let her get into a full coniption fit. Waded ashore and just about that time a bolt hit the water. Shock - your darn right it shocked. I ran like a dog thats been skunk sprayed up to my wife and promised her I'd listen to her from then on. Know what - I did.

6. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Great catch, James. Sure wish you had had a camera with you. I always enjoy seeing a guys fishing pix.

As for thunderstorms etc, boy they can be rough. I just about had my first boat (14 foot Alumacraft, semi-vee) sink during a thunderstorm. I could not believe how quick this storm came up on me, I did not have time to try and make it to the launching area. I had to pull into the bank and tie boat up. And, I got out and laid down among the trees. Lightning was hitting all around me and got a few trees within 50 yards of me. Anyway, my boat was close to being sunk, with all the water it had taken on.