The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all hope the spring time fishing is going well for everyone!

First of all, I do not condone fishing in harsh weather like rain especially if there is lighting. If you count more than 2 seconds between the light and the boom cut lines and run for the hills but either way do not fish in the storms not worth it.

So, there we are fishing a heavy rain and thunderstorm at night with strong winds, lighting, and thunder and the bight was on like donkey kong. We put 3 flatheads on deck, one 3 foot gar , and one channel all within a half hour. Pure action and reeling in a flathead the lighting was so bright I could not see. At that point I was a little concerned for our safety but like captain ahab we just kept the lines tight tell our rain gear was soaked through and went home for an adult beverage and some FBI files (now added to netflex).

With the river moving things should be hot for a while now but there was something special about fishing during that storm for us it was our first 3 flathead in a row night and also we felt like mother nature just wanted to push us a little harder and rewarded us with three beautiful fish (gar bit my leg, and the channel was small).

Anyone else had a crazy night like that?

Again dont be stupid like us.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yeah, had one like that in a gravel pit years ago. A storm blew in, rain and lightening, kept thinking I need to get off the water but it was just then the bass started hitting. Then looking around, I realized there were ducks on the water out in the middle of this low-lying lake along a river, and I wondered if they knew something I didn't. One thing I did know was that I was fishing with a fiberglass rod, which I took to be safer than a graphite rod in an electric storm. Fished through and on the last cast of the night, a five pound bass nailed by black spinnerbait. And that was not the last time I ever slayed on bass as a storm front hit. It still amazes me, though the effect is more pronounced on lakes and ponds.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I don't like getting my reels and tackle box all wet. I feel like the rain isn't good for it so I won't be out in the rain. Plus I don't like getting wet either lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we had rain gear on and we just tossed our bags under a tree was not to bad gear got wet but I took it apart and cleaned it out. I dont think we will be out like that again ha !

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I generally won't go if it's raining hard, but several times I've got caught in a sudden downpour and I'll tough it out as lone as thunder and lightening don't come with the rain..in my experience its hit and miss, sometimes they turn on and bite real good and other times the fishing shuts down...but the first hour or so after the rain quits is a real good time to have baits out.

·
Banned
4,823 Posts
Hello all hope the spring time fishing is going well for everyone!

First of all, I do not condone fishing in harsh weather like rain especially if there is lighting. If you count more than 2 seconds between the light and the boom cut lines and run for the hills but either way do not fish in the storms not worth it.

So, there we are fishing a heavy rain and thunderstorm at night with strong winds, lighting, and thunder and the bight was on like donkey kong. We put 3 flatheads on deck, one 3 foot gar , and one channel all within a half hour. Pure action and reeling in a flathead the lighting was so bright I could not see. At that point I was a little concerned for our safety but like captain ahab we just kept the lines tight tell our rain gear was soaked through and went home for an adult beverage and some FBI files (now added to netflex).

With the river moving things should be hot for a while now but there was something special about fishing during that storm for us it was our first 3 flathead in a row night and also we felt like mother nature just wanted to push us a little harder and rewarded us with three beautiful fish (gar bit my leg, and the channel was small).

Anyone else had a crazy night like that?

Again dont be stupid like us.

Crazy nights like that all Spring and Summer long. LOL.

·
Banned
4,823 Posts
Fishing in storms and what has gotten me some awesome bites and awesome fish, however, I am usually the only person out there.

That, in itself, is a plus and a minus, you have all the shore line you could ask for, but no one to take pictures for you.

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
It just depends on the ferocity of it.

The lock and dam I fish at all the time is a hydro-electric station...it has lightning protection all around it...I'm pretty sure a bolt of lightning is going to hit the 50'-0 tall steel and concrete dam before it reaches down to the fishing platforms and pipe rails...but if it's high wind and driving hard rain...I'll generally throw in the towel. But...I have caught some of my best fish in the absolute worst weather conditions...

·
Registered
76 Posts
In 2012, we set out on a 12 mile trip up the Neuse river in the midst of a tornado warning/severe thunderstorm warning. It rained and stormed the entire boat ride and died off just as we reached our destination. It paid off when just after anchoring my buddy hooked and landed his PB blue cat of 45lbs. There were thunderstorms coming and going almost all night and we caught fish all night too. That was one of our best fishing trips and certainly a memorable one.

Last year my other fishing partner and I set out to go fishing in the middle of a hurricane that was hitting NC. We weren't in the middle of the storm but we were hit with several rain bands that came thru for several hours that night. We caught a bunch of fish that night too.

In most cases storms don't keep us from fishing. Unless they're predicting the river to hit flood stage, then I'm all about being out there fishing. You just have to be safe, know your surroundings, know your limits and be safe. Yes I said it twice. Be safe. If you feel uncomfortable or feel the conditions are dangerous then there's no reason to be on the water, head to the ramp, high ground or wherever you can, and live to see your family another day.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
A couple of my friends had finished their charter and were straightening the boat up at the dock and there was a storm out over Lake Erie(not even close) when one of them stood on the motor housing to put a rod in the rod holder on the hardtop. He woke up laying on the motor cover. No chance of him ever fishing in a storm again!!!!!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Fishing in storms and what has gotten me some awesome bites and awesome fish, however, I am usually the only person out there.

That, in itself, is a plus and a minus, you have all the shore line you could ask for, but no one to take pictures for you.
Ditto. Probably 8 of my 10 best outings ever in severe weather. Since my Dad passed I don't have a severe weather fishing buddy. My sons all take separate vehicles to the lake if there's even the slightest chance of rain. They know I'm not leaving if the bite is on.

Reactions: Brackish*Water

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
it is that time of year again.
I really do hope it is raining next time I go out. last week when I went out there were tons of people out and this was on a week day.

but no I do not like lightning and have been caught a few times and laid down in the boat for a while, temp dropping 20 deg and static all around.

Reactions: Herbhome

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rain and a bit of wind, doesn't phase me. Lightning, and I run and hide. I don't mind getting wet - getting fried on the other hand will probably melt all of my gear.

1000% agree on the hour after a storm is A1+ fishing time! Love it!

If you guys remember the derecho we had a number years back on the east coast - I was on the water that day bass fishing with my nephew. We started getting calls that a bad storm was coming. We decided to heed the warning and head back to the ramp and see what happened. We were about a mile away, fired up and started to run back. Saw some dark clouds, and just as we were getting to the dock a bit of a storm was starting up. I had not even made it half way to the truck when it hit. I'm standing in the middle of trees while that thing hit. HORRIFIC! It looked like a tornado ripped though there, and we had to go around and over trees and limbs the whole way home.

A buddy of mine was a few miles down river and put his jon boat into a bank because a small tornado spun across the river infront of them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I look for storms to go fishing especially in May and June... Have caught my biggest flatheads as soon as the storm starts to let up.. Just have to ride the storm out to do it...I fish a lake and from the bank

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The lake I fish is shallow. Like 10' max depth and it's a large lake. Where I go is about 3-4 miles from marina where I launch so it takes a bit too get back to it. It can turn ugly quick going from calm to 6-8' waves in a matter of minutes. I got caught on a 20' pontoon boat one day where it was calm to where waves are going over the top of the boat. Ive never been so scared we made it back but from that day on i high tale it off whenever the wind starts picking up. I don't care about the fishing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts