Thunder and Lightning

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i had some friends over a bit ago, and we sat on my deck with a glass of wine and watched a marvelous thunderstorm. fantastic lightning show. manmade entertainment pales in comparism to nature. what a humbling display of energy.......thank you Lord, for Your blessings on me

anyone else out there like watching storms?

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    heres some awesome pictures that are supposed to be of katrina in the mississippi skies

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    another 3 set of katrina pics

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    last 3 set of katrina pics

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    great pics, DRC .....thanks for showing them

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Great pics DRC. Thanks a bunch for sharing them. I always like seeing mother nature at work. It kinda puts me back in perspective as how small we as people actually are.

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    DRC, that is totally awesome, can you imagine that bearing down on you? Thanks for sharing the pics.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Very impressive!! Great shots, thanks for sharing those.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    DRC I hate to do this but those are all shots Tornados not of a Huricane

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Awesome pics Darryl! Enjoyed them very much.

Mark,stop! LOL! Next you will be tellin us ya are watchin the lifetime channel. LOL!

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    DRC, those are cool pic's.

I like watching storms as long as no one gets hurt from a storm, or looses everything, there cool to watch. The damage some storms cause is what I don't like.:sad:
    When I'm watching em, I always thank the lord for what I'm seeing. Amazing. Much better than TV. LOL. I do believe I have a guardian angle watching over me in those times I'm a little to exposed to a storm. When a good one brews up I go to my shop, open the double doors and watch the show or I sit on my back porch. If I'm at the lake, I'll sometimes drive my truck down the trail to the bank. I love watching a storm from there. Gets bad sometimes but cool to watch. I have headed to my shop many time to watch a storm and snap crackle pop, :0a5: I start high stepping towards the shop in a hurry. LOL. WOW.

I've been in 3 hurricanes, and a couple of tornadoes, which aint no fun, but it is amazing the power it creates. What really amazes me is when we have big gust of winds and I'm watching 80' tall oak trees in my yard bend over and kiss the ground without up rooting are snapping the tops off. We've been lucky on that. :cross: Trees are stronger than I thought.

My cousin an I chased a tornado once. Radio said one was going towards the lake I fish. We was a couple miles from it and headed that way. Once we got on the dam, we could see it from across the lake coming our way. Man things got ruff from the wind, rain, lightening and it was getting a little too close. Next thing we knew, we was trying to out run it, and did. We got lucky LOL. That was many years ago. I don't chase tornadoes anymore. LOL. Tornadoes are the scariest too me. Give me a dark sky, lightening, rain, wind, my shop or truck for shelter and I will watch till it's over. I will also stand in the
    woods and watch, till lightening gets to popping everywhere, then it's time for shelter. Course I know when to hold up, know when to fold up and know when to run. :D

Guess I bumped my head too many times. LOL. :0010: :0a30:

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Those are some awesome pictures. They are indeed tornados...and I'm sure Katrina spawned tornados when she came ashore and combined with the hot air down south in the basin. The weather down in Mississippi isn't the only hot air blowing around though. My son was sent those exact same tornado pictures over the internet (Plus a few more that I didnt see posted) by a friend of his that lives in Independence, Kansas last year. She claimed that they were pictures of the tornado that came through here in 2003. (The tornado that tore up Pierce city, Missouri) I actually tried to post those same pictures on the old site months ago...but after I resized the pictures and they were still too big to post...I gave it up and never got around to getting it done. Sounds like we were both had...I believed that they were from 2003. Who knows they might be...but one thing is for certain is that they're not Katrina. These are the very same pictures that my son received a few months ago.

Attached Files:

13. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Regardless(or irregardless-never can keep it straight)
    those are some great pics!!
    Thank to all for sharing

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I agree. They are spectacular and they are unfortunately all too real especially for whoever got in that monsters path. The tornado that leveled Pierce city started right here in Cherokee county Kansas and went east across the Missouri border shredding a small township called Smithville and also got another little township called Stringtown as well as Carl junction, Missouri. These are all local towns...I could be in Stringtown in 15 min if I needed to. The damage there was unlike anything I've ever saw. It looked like a scene out of world war II in Europe. There were houses that were flattened, others that were torn in half...one half is rubble...the other half of it there are still pictures hanging on the wall and the furniture is still in place....and other houses surrounded on all sides by flattened houses but it was undamaged except for a few broken windows. There is a guy south of town here that is a farmer, and when the tornado started and worked up to F3 here in Kansas...it got to his farm and picked up his brand new planter and heaved it 3/4 of a mile away and sucked all the water out of his pond as it headed east. I saw a turkey farm that had gotten hit and the building had been lifted up and turned over about 25 feet from its foundation...and there stood all the turkeys...right there on the concrete slab with no walls or roof to confine them. There was a nesting Canadian goose on an island in a pond that I see everyday on my way home from work that made it through the storm...her eggs even hatched shortly after that. I saw her sitting on her nest just minutes after the storm had passed through on that sunday evening and she still had it covered with her wings and was panting incessantly. There were 3 people killed here in Cherokee county that day...one a mother of 3 boys as they were having a family picnic in their field...they saw the tornado coming out of nowhere...it was sunny before and after the storm passed...they scrambled for cover and made it inside their house just half a minute before the twister demolished their home. The other two were an elderly couple that panicked and got in their car and tried to flee the scene, but were unsuccessful. A friend of mines mother had no idea that there was even a tornado warning...she lived out in the country and was busy doing laundry when she walked into the kitchen and looked out the window and saw the tornado bearing down on her home. It struck her house broadside...she barely had time to run to a spare bedroom...grab a small mattress off of the roll away bed whose sheets she was washing...ducked into the laundry room...covered up...cloed her eyes and waited. The laundry room was the only standing structure in the house...the rest was mangled debris. She had a few minor cuts and bruises....nothing some peroxide and a band aid didnt fix. The swath that the tornado cut when it crossed over Spring river and into Missouri was a half mile wide....at its widest it was a mile wide and was upgraded to F5 before it struck Pierce City and the surrounding communities. You can still see the changes the tornado left in the landscape here if you look and know what to look for.

15. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Here are some additional photos that my son received at the same time he got the others.

Attached Files:

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Some awesome pictures but not Katrina.

I got them in a FW some time back.

17. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    DRC, those are amazing shots. I feel truly humbled after seeing those, especially after having a huge fight with my teenage daughter only moments before checking this post... :rolleyes: I was feeling a little like a hurrican myself. :sad:

As far as storm watching, some of my favorite childhood memories are of sitting on the glider on my grandparents side porch with Pap, watching thunderstorms...something he used to do with his Pap when small.

And Phil, I'll hope you drank a glass of wine for me, too. ;)

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    now now fellas please reread my initial post

there is a little word in there that i purposely put in to clarify.and it is........

SUPPOSED

i recieved these in an email and they stated that they were pics of katrina in the skies of mississippi.
    i wasn't there and i didn't snap the shots .
    (thats why i said - supposed to be. ) LOL.

thanks for the nice comments though and i'm glad to share them i thought
    they were neat looking too. i love large cloud masses

19. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks for sharing them..they were great photos..

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm sorry DRC, I didn't mean to question you. :eek:

The reason I posted the link was I thought you and some others might like to know the real facts behind the pictures. The guy is a [font=verdana, geneva, helvetica]storm chaser / photographer[/font] and has more interesting pictures on his web page.