Thump or Clicker

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by DTro, Aug 10, 2008.

1. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Which do you prefer?

After several years of Flathead fishing behind me I can easily say that I much prefer the solid thump of a Flat inhaling my bait and the rod rattling in the holder.

When I hear that THUMP, I know it's go time.

If the clicker starts screaming, there's a good chance it's a Channel Cat or a Small Flat.

I think the bait clicker is one of the more overrated aspects of Flathead fishing. It's nice to use as a way to keep tension off the fish while pulling the rod from the holder, or perhaps if you happen to fall asleep, but other than that. I'd rather hear a THUMP!:big_smile:

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    cliker , becoues were i fish you cant use a rod holder, are you saying the big ones wont run with the bait. iget alot of clicks then it stops

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    clicker is on here. the spool tension just isnt enough to hold. sometimes i even have to engage the reel and back way off the drag to hold the spool. luckily they dont seaam to mind the clicker most nights. when they drop the bait from it though ill take off the clicker and use the light drag setting. i never carry rod holders with me, i just use sticks or nothing at all.

4. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I always have my clickers on. When using big live bait I use big straight shaft hooks and I let the fish run a while. When I hear the clicker I ease the rod out of the rod holder and turn the clicker off and use my thumb lightly as I let the fish free spool. That takes the tension off. When I use circle hooks I turn my clickers on until I hear them running. I then turn it off and let the fish load the rod up. I use clickers just to let me know when a fish is baiting. When you fish 90% if the time at night clickers are the way to go.

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    In the boat my reels are locked. On the bank you better have that clicker on!!

6. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    Clickers for me! I love the sound of a screamin clicker!

7. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I always use the clicker. I love the sound of it screamin at me.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I gotta go with the Thump. Unless I see them tickle the tip first then I'm the one doing the thump'n on the other end! lol:eek:oooh::wink::smile2:

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    If I'm sitting there paying attention and wide awake...I'll hold the rod without the clicker engaged.

But if I have multiple rods...or decide to drift off and check out the insides of my eyelids...then it's clickers on.

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
  11. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    If I were in a boat using circle hooks I would want the thump. But I don't have a boat and I fish from the bank so I perfer the clikers.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm with ya bro. I run baitclicker, but the intial hard thud in the rod holder, then seeing the rod start going over slowly gets my heart pumping. Especially if its on a 2 pound bait! I know the exact sound, and it gives me goosebumps everytime still:big_smile: rollo

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's just one of those sounds you never forget DTro!!:wink: rollo

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Certainly NO clickers for me with the rod holders on the boat and circle hooks. The "thump" is so audible, the clicker is not necessary. Bank fishin' might warrant the use of a clicker, unless you had a secure rod holder in place. TIGHT lines are the best way to increase hookup ratio, when used with the circles.
    Bill in SC

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Darren,

I fish mostly from the bank. unlike you boat guys, i don't hve the option of winching my rod in a rodholder. My rods are in sanddspikes and even perched up on a rock or tree.

Without baitclickers, I woulkd either have keep a constand close eye on my rods or hold them in my hand. I would probably end up loosing a few rods not using clickers.

But I do know what you mean about letting the fish hook itself.

16. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    gotta agree with ya i like that THUMP when they slam it over..than you know its go time..:cool2:

17. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like the thump!

Ralph

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I figure when the Flathead takes the bait he's heading one place, back to where the sun don't shine. I've never owned a reel with a clicker. I cast out, tighten my line and have had best luck forgetting about it. When I see that pole double over theres no mistake what time it is.

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I THINK IF YOUR NEAR ALOT OF COVER OR CURENT , TIGHT LINE IF NOT THAN A CLIKER I USE BOTH WAYS BUT I PREFER CLIKERS IF IM NOT HOLDING THE ROD, THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH CLIKERS IS THEY MIGHT NOT RUN LONG, OR YOU MIGHT MISS THEM, BUT ON THE OTHER HAND IF YOUR OUT AT NIGHT WITH THREE POLLS YOU DONT WANT TO STARE AT THEM ALL NIGHT, WITH CLIKERS U JUST LISTEN NO LOOKING, BUT I HOLD ONE ROD ALOT FF IM IN A RIVER BY A DAM

20. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Lock em down and wait for the thump. On occasion I will run clickers.
    However, when running clickers I always get a bite when at the front of boat digging in bait well, tieing lines or something else (except paying attention).
    Lindsay