Thumbs Down: White Ugly Stik Catfish Pole

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by JPritch, Oct 16, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Have one of these that I use as my lighter gear catfishing rig. It's the white Shakespeare Ugly Stik Catfish casting pole, the kind you can usually find at WalMart for $30.

After about 6 months of use, I can say it's been battle tested, and I gotta give it a thumbs down because of the guides. I haven't caught a big fish on this pole, but I've found some of my guides bent way up or down, and the eye of one of my guides fell out the other day.:angry:

I have Ugly Stik Tigers, and they are TOUGH. Gonna find some lighter versions of the Tiger to replace this pole.

I know alot of you have had good results with this pole, but this is just my experience with them. I won't be buying them again.

2. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am sorry to hear that you are having bad luck with the one you have! I have 6 of these and they have been good to me so far! I started using mine on the Mississippi river and have since upgraded to heavier rods, but still use these for drifting with lighter weights.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    that sucks ill have to keep an eye on my eyes, you shure its from use because mine have batteled with some bigger fish up to #45 and are in good shape. the only damage my eyes got is from putting a hole in the celing, a little pinch of the pliers and it was good as new.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They do sell Ugly Stik Tiger lites. I bought an Ugly Stik lite in mint condition that came with the reel that I just happen to want. Didn't really want the rod but it was basically free so what the heck. Sorry to hear about your rod though maybe Shakespeare will replace it heck you can even take it back to Wal-mart they might take it back.

5. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Hey Josh,Let me know when you what to get rid of it.Thats one of our luckest rods on the boat.And we will give it a great new home. TEAM BUNDY INC.

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    A silver lining to every gray cloud:wink:

Now would be a great time to practice your guide wrapping skills.. someday you might want to make your own "custom" stick. Customs rods are nice, and it doesn't get any more custom than by your own hands.

Get a cheap set of guides, strip that blank down and start wrapping:big_smile:

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    why would he want a cheep set of guides thats he thinks the problem is now:tounge_out:

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    You get what You pay for.

9. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Well for one learning how to wrap with Fuji Cermet's is bloody expensive and frankly a waste of money. The point is to learn, trial and error, with minimal cost and nothing lost.

You'll never turn that rod into a custom, high performance fish killing machine.. it is what it is.. some "affordable":tounge_out: guides would work better than the one's he's got already while not being a waste of money.

And lastly, why would you put yokohama's on a pinto? Spending $60-$120 on a set of "good" guides for ten dollar blank is just ill thought and foolish. :roll_eyes:

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    60-120 for guides d@mn i guess i havent looked at the costs of building a rod. Guess ive been more interested in reels i would have guessed 40 would be high end guess i got to start looking into what rods are all about. :0a30:

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    BPS and Cabela's both have sets of replacement guides. You can go to REEL COUNTER and ask for them. U can get a set for around $8 that are good, solid, and dont have the plastic inserts.

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    In total I have about 7 of these rods. I have had one of the plastic inserts fall out, and one tip break, both of which were my fault.

I knew I should have checked the tailgate before I slammed 'er shut!

I love these rods and have had great luck with bigger fish on them!!! Sorry for the ill experience!

13. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    the way roda are treated and used makes a difference. some people i have fished with i dont want them to get mine out of the picup. i would not let them use mine no way. you cant drag them to the river and them hold up. thanks sam davis

14. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i got 2 spinning and 2 casting white cat rods. iloveum and i baby them. if one got broke i would just go get another.:big_smile::cool2:

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    you should check these out, http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60634

custom rod quaility @ a production rod price!

16. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Impressive rods based on their description.

As for why my white rod had trouble, I dunno, but it wasn't because I mistreat my equipment. Heck, I keep cozies on all my reels and give my rod and reels a good wipedown after each trip.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe you are wiping to hard?:eek:oooh::big_smile:

18. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That would explain my recent discomfort when walking... oh wait, you're talking about my fishing pole. Never mind.

19. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have 6 of the Ugly Stick Catfish series rods and haven't had any problems, yet. They do have single-foot line guides and are more easily bent when packing and unpacking from my Jeep. So far I've been able to bend them back in place and they've held up to some decent fish. If any of the guides begin breaking then I'll probably replace them all with double-foot guides.

mike in SW VA

20. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Joshua,

I was curious if you were using braided line with the rod? I know that some nylon guides cannot withstand the pressure from the lack of stretch that braided lines have. I also know that braided lines can sometimes cut into the nylon guides, whereas these guides can withstand alot more from heavier mono lines. I own two of these rods and use braided lines and I have had no problems, yet. However, since you are having problems with the guides, I would recommend rods with stainlesss steel guides, like the Tigers have. I had a guy custom wrap two Berkley E-cats with stainless (9/rod) for $15 per rod. Not too bad in my opinion. Since that time, these rods now come with stainless and not nylon guides.