Thumbs down to paternoster and 3 way rigs

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Chief, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    anyone else have trouble with these rigs? they seem to snag a lot more than a slip sinker rig. also i noticed they get tangled a lot more around your main line and sinkers. they seem to be more complicated than whats really needed. the more swivels and knots you have the more weak spots there are in your setup. i consider a slip sinker rig more all around than these styles and pretty much better. the only reason i would tie one of these rigs on would be to to raise my bait off the bottom, but adding a clip on bobber seems to solve that problem on a slip sinker rig. i guess what i'm getting at is why use these rigs when you can use a better more durable one. tell me what i'm missing about these rigs cause they have to have a use.

2. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    how long do u have ur line for ur sinker? i use 3ways a lot and haven't had any problems at all. I run my leader at 2 feet and my line for sinker 8in - 1foot no more than that

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i had mine setup the same way. my leader was about a foot and a half though

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    There is a time and place for each rig! For me, it works like this. If there is alot of grass growing in the riverbed, I like to use a 3 way to keep my bait above the weeds! It is also a good rig when you get hung up alot, because you can attach your weight with lighter line. Another version of it with two hooks (hi/lo rig) lets you fish two different baits. If you dont use heavy enough line, it will get tangled though, its a matter of gravity. The sliding sinker rig and slip bobber rig are my methods of choice for live bait fishing, but staying flexible and not ruling any methods out sometimes makes the differance between a "mess of fish" and a "skunk"!

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Do you even need a 3 way rig? They are designed for rocky bottoms where any rig will get snaged in the rocks. This way with a lighter leader on the sinker drop the sinker will snag and hold the bait where you put it then can be broken off by you and get back all your rig cept the sinker or the fish when it hits. The other use is to keep bait down while drifting. But you have to be moving slightly faster than the bait. In current from a boat or the bank it should be cast at a slight downstream angle so the bait floats away from the rig. It also needs to be tightlined to keep every thing from tangling up.

6. CptAhab

CptAhab New Member

State:
    Manitoba, CAN
    Hi gents, I've made a lot of use of three-way rigs in the past too, though I'll confess that I really prefer using a sliprig. Time and application is a big thing like it was already mentioned; I'd add that if you're trying to use a three-way in heavy current situations which find you casting cross current or against current you'll wind up in a heap of trouble no matter how long or short you make the leader and dropper lines.

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    i love the three way rigs. There are new three way swivels that are actually a tee instead of the traditional y style. These types of swivels vastly improve the tangle factor.

And as previously mentioned the three way rig helps keep your bait off the bottom when the cats are on the move. You can use a lighter line on the sinker so if it gets hung up you just loose the sinker instead of the mainline. You can attatch a float to the hook line to add extra bouancy for heavy baits or when your drifting.

I use to use the same line type for the main line, leader and sinker line...Recently I have started using a heavy (60-80lbs) monifilament leader while using my braided for my main line....this has really helped me reduced the amount of twist and tangles.

One night while fishing my local river I was using the three way rig, my other fishing companions were using slip sinkers...well I caght three fish to there 0 amount of fish. We had the same bait, throwing into the same hole. The only difference was I had the three way rig and my bait was elevated. They changed and started to catch fish....since then I always have at least 2 of my rods with a 3 way rig....

hope this helps.....good luck and tight lines!!!!

8. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    looks like something i'm gonna have to try. does it work well with live bait? what about swift current?

9. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I too have had trouble with a 3- way rig . Will try this set up. looks really simple.