thrust of trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Dude, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    whats the lowest amount of thrust for a trolling motor on the bow that would work to push a pontoon boat through the water even river currents

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    it will depend on the weight of the boat and size to make a halfway educated guess my bass boat is 18feet and its not to light and a 46 pound thrust will move it around decent but i went to a 70 pound 24 volt setup and it has tons of power for all conditions. i like having a bit more then i think i need myself.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Mutt is right about the power thing and having more is a good thing. Never know when your going to need it for wind or stronger than expected current. I had 32 lb on my 24' pontoon and it was slow on a lake. I would say 70 would be a good number. Remember if you have a smaller motor at full power you will use your battery up quicker than a larger motor run at 1/2 power. Just a thought as once the battery is gone, it's gone.

4. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    my boat is a 20ft pontoon so what do u think i can get away with and be safe

5. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well i myself wouldnt go under 65 70 pounds of thrust are you wanting a foot operated one or just a tiller style the tiller style are a lot cheaper to buy thats for sure.

6. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Also look at the transom mount style as generally they are the cheapest. If planning on mounting it in front, just reverse the handle (One screw, take out, turn head 180 degrees, replace screw, save self $100-200.00). Making a mount for the front of the craft to place transom type motor on is easy. Just have a "L" shaped bracket made out of 1/4" steel or aluminum & bolt down. I've made several for friends through the years as well as myself. I prefer a handle over foot operated & besides saving lots of cash.:)

Frank

7. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    tiller is a handel style lol transom mount. honestly i like the foot operated for a toon i wouldnt be able to give any advice on what i would want on it since i dont run toons.would have to depend i would think on how low the trolling moter would sit i would think for weather it would be a tiller/transom/handle or a foot operated.

8. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    If you like the foot control, you might try the remote or "fly by wire" units. I put one on my 22' Deck Boat. It has a 20' controll wire so I could operate the motor from about any where in the boat, that is a big plus on larger boats especially if you are fishing by yourself. It works great if there isn't much current. The suggestion I would make is 24 volt minimum and around 70# thrust. My 50# did NOT have enough thrust to operate on the Osage during the big rains of 95 and 96 (below Truman Dam). Current speed and weight made a difference, wind(?). There are charts available by most of the manufacturers to determine the size of motors. Take'm with a grain of salt, remember they are selling trolling motors. Bigger is better in this case. I saw a prototype of a trolling motor that will be released some time this year and the price tag will be between $3600.00 and $4200.00 and it takes a special battery pack $2700.00. I didn't have much more than that invested in my first house....

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I put a 40# thrust Minn-Kota on the front of my 20' pontoon, and it was pretty marginal when the wind was blowing very much. More thrust would certainly be better. The TM is a bow-mount type that raises up and stows away flat, so I didn't have to reverse the tiller handle, although I've done that on other TMs before. If you've got the money, one of those TMs that raise, lower, & steer by remote control would be great for a 'toon.

10. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i already have a 40 lb thrust minn kota tiller trolling motor that i use on the back of my jon boat but since i got this new (well old ) pontoon i'm trying to rig it up the best i can. I wasnt sure if the 40 lb thrust on this "tm " would be enough to get around on the potomac or james rivers. i just want to be safe with a back up if my outboard conks out. plus trolling for stripers out here on the lake.

11. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    marginal ??????????? how bad is that? lol

12. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I had my Merc go out on me on the way back to the dock. I had a trolling motor and it saved the day. I purchased the most thrust I could afford and it has always paid off. If the wind is light the low thrust is adequate maybe. But if the wind gusts the motor will have to work harder or wont hold you and then you have to either fire up the main engine or quite. Consider this. If your main fails and there is a storm approaching will the money you saved on the lower thurst motor really mean that much. My boat only weights 114lbs empty and I am looking at 50-65 lbs of thrust. 25 pushed my 15 ft aluminum with a 20 hp merc at about 4 mph. The boat I have now will plane with 50lbs of thrust. Life and limb can be saved with thrust.