Throwlines help in a river

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by OklahomaFever, Jun 9, 2007.

1. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I need help for throwlines in a river... I always find my line are being cut and i have seen someone take a 30+ lb flathead off one of my line... grrrrrrr ... and i ask him how he caught it and said abotu 1/2 down the river lol frickin lair...any tips on hiding them better? or tips in general?

2. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    You can try tieing them underwater..

3. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    usually i do that... people snag them or something....

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First, get the boat's registration # and contact your local F&G enforcement officer. Maybe you'll be lucky and he'll actually do something. Otherwise:
    A .22 makes a heckuva whine when it ricochets off the water. Scares the fertilizer out of most folks. For those that just can't take a hint, a few in the outboard tends to interfere with its operation. A less violent deterrent might be to let a dozen eggs get real ripe, then throw them at the violaters.

5. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    no boats in this river :)

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I would get a tag# off truck and let game and fish fix him up.

7. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    there not gunna waste that much time for a stupid matter

8. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Sorry but it sounds like your just going to have to change locations. If the warden wont help theres not much else to do.:angry: Good luck.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't fished this way in a while, and haven't encountered the problems you describe, but what I used to do is get some green 150# braided nylon chord. Green is harder to spot, but you still must tag the line. No legal way to totally hide the lines. Tie your lines up under freshly fallen trees. The ones that still have folliage. Or bend sapplings over closer to the water, and tie your lines up under that. Baitfish are attracted to the shade, and in turn, the flatheads will move in for the kill. Tie your bait shallow, so it flips around on top of the water, and makes a splash. Keep an eye on the river level, as it may drop leaving your bait, or worse, your fish hanging out of the water. Don't wanna waist fish unnecessarily.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sorry, but if I found someone had broken into my shop or house and was stealing my stuff, I couldn't just say, "Ooo, guess I'd better move." IMO, stealing stuff from my campsite, my boat, or fish off my lines is no different. I'd be more than happy to have the law handle the problem, but if they are too lazy or too incompetent, or too crooked to do their jobs, then I'd feel obligated to handle it myself. Now, I'm not about to shoot anybody for stealing, but I would have no problems with scaring them, or damaging their means of transportation.

11. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    lol... never know he might have a gun or too... anyways... i will catch another one... anyways... maybe i should use something than white rope?

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    If the guy wants fish I'd give him some.
    Like under the seat of his Pick up.:lol:

13. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey, I agree with Jerry. I'm going to make them pay somehow from stealing.
    I had the same trouble with people stealing the fish off my juglines and I took a picture of them taking the fish off with the boat number and contacted the game warden and they took care of it. This was in OK. A friend let a couple of shots over one boat and they dropped everything and left.
    Bill

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Some years back, I had a problem with a commercial fisherman who called himself 'King of the River'. I didn't care what he called himself, but his problem was that he really believed he ran that part of the river. And he didn't like jugfishermen. I finally managed to catch him in the act...MY jugs in the bottom of HIS boat. I tried to be reasonable with that dimwit. I calmly explained to him that he had hundreds of dollars worth of nets in the water, and that if he continued to mess with my jugs, he was going to start finding some of those nets cut to pieces, piled up on shore. Needless to say, the 'King' didn't like that. After a little name calling, throwing of anchor rocks, paddle swinging, and gaff hook swinging, he threatened to shoot me if I touched one of his nets. I told him that was fine, we'd carry it to whatever level he wanted. When I got back to the ramp, the game warden and county sheriff were there with the 'King'. He had called them with a complaint that I had threatened to cut his nets. I explained that all I wanted was for my jugs to be left alone, but if this idiot kept messing with them, I was going to start messing with his nets. At which point the idiot again threatened to shoot me. In front of the two officers. Real smart. They told me I could leave, and took the old boy over to an out of the way spot to have a heart to heart talk with him. I don't know if that did any good or not. The next weekend, the 'King' was two vehicles ahead of me in the line to launch, so when he ran his truck back up the hill to park it, I was putting a deer rifle into my boat. I could see him looking at me, but I just continued on like I hadn't seen him. No need to provoke a fight by smiling at him and waving the rifle, or anything stupid like that. It was enough that he knew I had the rifle in my boat. I never had any more trouble with him.

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i believe that if someone is hungry or desperate enuff to run my lines, they might need the fish more than me. But if they would just ask i would gladly give them fish.
    I use smaller diameter green line on my limbline and tie it so it has a darker backdrop. If u insist on marking the line to make it legal, i put my marker down by the weight, when i use weight, or tie it so that it sits slightly underwater.
    u can use smaller line on a dropline since it is tied to a green limb that has some give in it.
    And for the love of god, do not start shooting at people over fishing. I take my fishing serious and it pisses me off to see a guy in $30k bass boat pick up one of my jugs, but what comes around goes around.

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Wow. "Water rage." Getting so a fella can't do nothing without trouble. I like the story line though.....make a great movie. KING OF THE RIVER...somebody like that just needs the plug pulled and the bilge pump out of comission. "Stuff" floats.
    :smile2:

17. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i was fishing at badin damn down in albermarle and i noticed my bait kept disappearing i was on a very steep incline so i had to havemy bucket set a way from me where it was flat i noticed some one sneak up to my bucket and reach in with 2 hands and emptied my bucket in to theirs so i had a rod set up with a 8oz sinker on itso i flung it at him and caughthim on the chin so then he wanted to fight i think i couldnt understand a word he was saying but he started coming down the hill torwards me so i gave him a free trip tothe water he was just lucky theyonly had one turbine on

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    The ODWC takes maters like this VERY seriously. You would be suprised what they will take the time for. Just have to contact them to find out.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes. You can get a dark green line that will blend in very well and it is very strong. When you tag this, use brown electrical tape and write on it with a black sharpie. It will be tagged legal, but not be very visible to anyone walking the bank.

Run your lines more often, or put them in more remote locations on this river. The fewer people who access an area, means the fewer people who might swipe your fish.

Oh, and what area of Oklahoma?? What river?