throwing tips for cast net

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by johndeere nut, Aug 12, 2009.

1. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    im havig trouble throwing my net. i can throw it and it dosent seem to open all the way i am grabbing it like the paper shows twistong back and trying to launch it like a frisbee but it only opens halfway or not at all or gets tangled up what gives i need some help!:angry:

2. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    check out you tube. there are several methods shown. some methods work better that others for nets over 6'. pay close attention to the little things and you should be throwing consistantly in 30 min. or so.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    good call george, i was wanderin how i could explian with out a visual and not confuse him more. you.tube it baby, youll get it cuz.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    brian, if you throw with your right hand, let the momentum of the net pull it out of your left. If you just let go with the off hand, it won't open up.

5. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Josh hit the nail on the head!!...i even pull down on the net with my left hand when i feel it start to pull free.Just keep at it,and you'll have it in no time

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Same here, the off hand is the key. Practice practice practice and learn when to let go with the other hand.

BTW Jerry, that is a nice "bait tank" you have there :smile2:.

7. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    thanks guys i watched some you tube videos as you suggested and found a way that is easy and works for me and am starting to get the net to open more i had it almost completley open on my last practice toss im gonna catch bait out of the creek tomorrow so i will get more practice.:big_smile:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Here is the best advice I was ever given.Follow all the setup things you see on the video,BUT dont slip your hand thru the loop at the end of the line.Throw the net and let it go.!!!Buy bait.works every single time gauranteed.:smile2::big_smile:

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I use my mouth to throw which is nasty, but oh well, it works.lol

10. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    .....also remember to launch it a little upwards as well. That extra height will give it time to open up. Sounds like you are getting it.
    Also, have your retrieve line loose at your feet, so it doesn't cause the net to start to fold (or taco shell, as I call it) on you.
    Good luck.

11. Kitty Catcher

Kitty Catcher New Member

State:
    GA
    A lot depends on the size of the net. There are different methods of throwing different size nets. Remember that no centrifigal fource is required to get the net to open. Ever. It is only required to get the net away from you. If yours came with instructions that may be the way to go unless they say throw it like a Frisbee or you can find something more comfortable. For nets 8+ feet in diameter I use the "Dirty Mouth" method as described above and have acquired a taste for certain bodies of water over the years. If you are throwing a banana (I believe that is the proper term) you are most likely letting go of the lead line closest to you too soon. The other thing is you don't want to go for the distance record that will come in time. You will find that you can even do a kind of slow motion cast so that you can see how the net is leaving your hands but it should still open up. From there you just speed things up to get more distance. All you have to do then is find the bait fish. Soda crackers or crumbled up stale bread works for bream (and spottails if the mesh is 3/16 to 1/4) but they get smart fast or a crappie light or dock light that has been left on for several hours is your best bet for shad and bluebacks.

12. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    hold on with your lead hand a little longer and put a little spin on it by following through and bring your hand back to your body. It will cause it to open up more.

13. shacknasty

shacknasty New Member

State:
    Texas
    I feel you pain. I could not throw a net for the longest, then I found the awesome wonder that is utube. After a few visual lessons I was throwing and the net was opening all the way and I was finally catching bait. No more buying worms, shrimp, or gizzards for me.

14. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    every thing is on you tube I learned how to clean catfish, how to build crawdad traps all kind of cool stuff. I need to check out the cast nest vids.