Throwing Castnet

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bwhupp, Jul 31, 2007.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
  2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Due to an back injury, I am unable to throw a cast net. I have a good cast net that my son-in-law throws for me.

3. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thats a pretty good video

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Think I've seen that one.. Its the technique of putting it in your teeth if I remember correctly.. I do it differently...

JW had a GREAT post on how to do it:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26474

FOR ME, its the easiest and "driest" way. That net will soak ya to the bone if you have to lay it across your body to throw it and you have to throw for any length of time...

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    The video is good for those larger nets. The video on the board seemed to be better for the smaller nets with less netting to worry about and getting to unravel. This seemed pretty effortless and it explained it a lot better than the directions that came with my castnet! Tiny little thumbnail pictures and 20 something steps! Ha!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    JW is a STAR in his own right. He can do it all, well. There is a rumor floating that he used the cast net to catch his wife. Best catch of his life.:smile2:

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I thought this was a pretty good demonstration. Very few steps, and looks effortless. Either JW's way, or this way has got to be better than how I do it. I catch bait, but it's alot of effort. I also occasionally have a bad throw, and scare all the bait away.:sad2: I'm gonna start practicing both ways to find out which one is easiest. I wish JW would make a video of how he does it.:wink:

8. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    that looks easier than reading the directions mine came with and safer my buddy and my dog thank you:smile2:

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    FORGET all those videos and advice that make it look so easy!!!!:crazy:After years of practice I have developed the perfect technique that will always guarantee you lots of fresh bait.Do everything that the videos show EXCEPT do not fasten the rope around your wrist.Make your throw and you will be surprised that it will be the best throw and spread you have ever made.Once the net deploys let go of the rope.:big_smile::smile2::wink:proceed immediately to the nearest bait store and purchase what you need.You never have another bad throw,you still have the memory of the one perfect throw you ever made,AND you have all the bait you need.It is acceptable to hire someone to throw your net for you or to train a family member as Top did.:big_smile::smile2:

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Or do what I did. I taught 2 of my fishing buddies how to throw a net, and they think it's a blast. Now we go out in the boat, they're scrambling for their nets & I only have to throw a net and get wet if they can't catch anything. BTW, I've made it a challenge to see who can throw the biggest net, so one of them is now throwing my 8 footer.:smile2:

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    KUTTER here on the board was kind enough to take my son and brotherinlaw , and myself on his boat and showed me how to cast a net and i
    have been doing it pretty good ever since. as long as there aint a lot of obstacles in the boat and i can get a good swing i can make it open up in a nice circle. we were complete strangers that day at the catstock 3 gathering
    in carlisle illinois . thanks again kutter.:wink:

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    thanks for sharing.