Throw netting shad/skip jack

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by CAT ADDICT, Sep 25, 2006.

1. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am on the east side of Cincinnati, Does anyone know of a good spot to get shad and or skip jack with a thrownet without getting snagged up??? I do not have access to a boat. Or when a good time to catch skip jack is and with what. I heard that about 5 pop eyes on a line is a good set up to catch skip jack. Hurry, I need to get some before Sunday!!!

BOC Rocks!
    Rob

2. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I got some Shad right at the dock at Schmidit ramp Sunday as far as Skipjacks haven't seen them all year on the Ohio, as the water gets cooler they like to move in at Aberdeen, Ohio which is above you and you can target them from the shore also the Shad will move in there also........Doc

3. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know right were that is too. HMMMMMMMM. Has anyone tried eastfork or Stonelick lake for shad???

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I have got them at the top portion of the spillway at Grant Lake also if you know where that is............Doc

5. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was at East Fork last weekend catching bait and in one cast off the boat dock I got 250-300 shad. All but 3 were between 3-4 inches (almost too small for bait). I usually get them off the dock going from 222.

6. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Any idea what time of the year the skipjack will start gathering near the warm water discharges on the Ohio? I need to stock up this year, last year I ran out by November.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck getting some shad, if you are even in central Ohio I can show ya some spots.

8. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    If any of you out of towners are ever in columbus for a weekend or something let me know too so I can hit the boat with you...never have anyone with me in there so I get bored using it alone.

ben

9. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I live very close to there. I'll give it a try. Is it the ramp past the beach area???

10. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yes. If you go there in the middle of the day when there is not a lot of boat traffic you will see a lot of schools of shad. I went there last week and in 15 minutes I caught 20 bluegill and 200+ shad.

11. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like I know where I will be sometime tomorrow!
    I drove by the ramp in bethel today. Lots of shad schooling there too!

12. fitzytbone1

fitzytbone1 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is this the boat ramp by the beach? If so I know right where you're talkin about and I might have to hit that up later this week. Gotta start stocking up for the winter months!!! This will be my first year catfishing through the winter.

13. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went to both ramps today. Saw millions of shad at the Macedonia (Bethel) ramp and caught 2 bluegill. At the 222 ramp, 2 older men were fishing for channel cats and they caught a few just the perfect bait size and they offered them to me. Heck, who am I to refuse free bait. Oh I caught 0 bluegill....but my wife caught 8 after I baited up the hook. I guess this means she is the master fisherman and I am, well, the master...you can guess the rest :lol: Going to set my "Sams" bait trap out at a local pond and hope for some more bluegills and yellow bellies. I will go Sunday morning early for shad and fish all day Sunday. Thanks to all who gave me the info!!! I should be well stocked. Now If I can find some skip jack...