Throw Nets

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Mizzbigcat, May 29, 2008.

1. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I normally catch my bait the old fashioned way (by paying my daughter a nickel a piece for bluegill) but alot of times she'll just catch me enough to use for that particular outing.

I live about 1/4 mile from the lake, which is right now swarming with shad.

I mentioned to Jeff (BF) that I would like to take a throw net (his, lol) and stock up on some shad, since I have a huge bait fridge freezer in the garage running and empty.

I've never used a throw net before, but he made it out to be some complex thing that I could never figure out without him taking me out into the yard to practice a few times.

I've been asking him to do this since the begining of April, to no avail, and I don't like to nag.

My oldest son Jacob can do it, and he's a little spacey ya know, so my question for ya'll is how hard can it be?

Do you think I can take it out front and teach myself?

Also, are there any tips or pointers you want to share with me?

Any and all help will be truly appreciated.

Thanks Brothers and Sisters, ya'll ROCK!

:cool2:

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Ist off get two...LOL!! They r easy to lose Mizz.

Wallmart n a 5 ft radius mono would b a good start.

Plz note Mizz fresh is best for the Flats.

:0a26:

When the Shad spawn it is in 1-1 1/2 ft of water @ 62 degrees.

:big_smile:

4. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio

Jeff, you are like a walking library. Whatever we need, you're right there with the link. I appreciate that brother!

5. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Yeah, I hear they're easy to lose. We have several of them around here.

I use fresh when available. But I'll keep my bait freezer stocked because frozen beats the pants of hotdogs, liver, or artificial bait any day of the week!

Living so close to the water, I want to be able to grab a bag of bait and ride my four wheeler to the lake for some fishing on a whim, without having to spend a day baitfishing to prepare.

So, I'm gonna watch this video, and see what this involves!

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Mizz

U bet it a drag to spend a day to get bait...LOL!!!!!

Next Wed I planning to get about 4-5 doz. live Chubs and than fill one or two coolers with Shad to go fishin the Big River for 5 days (Keeping a line wet the WHOLE time). I hope it only takes 8 hrs to a day..he hee!!!!

But that why THEY named me <><Baitkiller><>.

:smile2:

7. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    my fiance taught herself to throw one in about 5 minutes. I would recommend if your shorter like she is and throwing from the bank you may want to invest in a 3 1/2 ft net. She finds that much easier to throw and get the proper spin on it. good luck

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    My wife can do it so I am sure that you can. Start out with a 3ft radius net and work up from there. Practice makes perfect!:wink:

9. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    What if the girl throwing it is six feet tall like me? :embarassed:
    Thanks for all the help you guys give me, I've learned so much in the few months I've been a member.

Ya'll are awesome!

I'm gonna go out front and give it a shot.

Be back in a few with the full report.

10. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I agree with Jon & Kyle, start with a small net and learn how to throw, then u can move up in net size. Good Luck

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    go get them shad girl
    where there isa will there is a way
    nobady showed me how 10yrs ago
    i just watched a guy use one and said to myself i can do that then i bought one and there you go i am a pro now

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Angie, that video is the easiest way to toss one. You'll do fine.
    If you find the net is too long to use from the bank or other tight quarters, instead of holding it up by the RING, just slide that hand down to almost halfway and lay the top part with the ring over the back of your hand. Then go ahead and do the other steps like in the video. Works the same.

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i learned from that video & now thorw a 6ft net( im 5'5) its not that hard, like Skip said, if its too long just grab the net bout a foot down frome the top, lay the rest over your hand, andfollow the rest of the steps from the vid, its easy once you get the hang of it!!!

14. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is gonna kill ya, but lissen to Skip - he managed to show me in 5 minutes what I'd been fightin' for months to do (throw a net in a decent circle looking shape)... been gettin' my own shad ever since! :big_smile:

15. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    I bought my net yesterday (5' walmart special), threw it in the yard a couple of time and went to hoover today and threw it 3 times and had enought shad for a month. Just got to go out there a get used to throwing it.

Good luck

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The nets are real easy to use. Follow the instructions and then come up with your own version. 20-30 cast in the back yard and you will be good to go.

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,i didn't think i would be able to master one.i throw it like neo does in the video,except left handed,they aren't bad after ya get used to it

18. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
  19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Try This:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26474

This is the way I, and most people I fish with, throw them..
    There are other ways, including a method where you use your teeth to hold the net but I don't like that idea or getting soaked getting bait...

From the vid, you pretty close, You Just need to "choke up" on the net and get a good spread before throwing...

20. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Angie,bring your cast-net to the get together at dillon and I guarantee you will leave being a pro cast netter its a snap once you see the way to do it watching someone throw it live lol