Throw nets

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by JoeFriday, Feb 16, 2008.

1. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    Anyone know the rules for throw nets? Ive noticed alot of people use them to catch their bait...I mainly fish the missouri river but im wondering it would be legal for me to go down to blue springs lake and practice. Just dont want to end up paying some fine

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I believe that the only regulations missouri has on throw nets are what fish you are allowed to keep after catching them.

1) Daily Limit: In the aggregate, one hundred
    fifty (150) crayfish, freshwater shrimp,
    and those species of fish not defined as game
    fish in 3 CSR 10-20.805; and five (5) each
    of the following amphibians: southern leopard
    frog, plains leopard frog, and cricket
    frog. Bighead carp, common carp, goldfish,
    grass carp and silver carp may be taken and
    possessed in any number.
    (2) Methods.
    (A) Live bait may be taken by a trap with
    throat opening not to exceed one and one-half
    inches (1 1/2") in any dimension, dip net,
    throw net, pole and line, or a seine not more
    than twenty feet (20') long and four feet (4')
    deep, of a mesh not more than one-half inch
    (1/2") bar measure.
    (B) Live bait, except fish, may be taken by
    hand.
    (C) Crayfish may also be taken by trap
    with an opening not to exceed one and onehalf
    inches (1 1/2") by eighteen inches (18").
    (3) Seasons: Throughout the year.
    (4) Length Limits: All bluegill, green sunfish
    and bullheads more than five inches (5") in
    total length and other fish more than twelve
    inches (12") in total length must be returned
    to the water immediately after being caught
    by the methods prescribed in this rule, except
    there are no length limits for bighead carp,
    common carp, gizzard shad, goldfish, grass
    carp and silver carp.

Also in Blue Springs lake there is a restriction that the only thing you can keep is shad.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always kinda wondered about our local community lake. It's a few miles outside of town. I just wonder what specific area regulations there may be for netting bait there. I sometimes go there, and catch perch on r&r, and only keep 20 which is the daily limit there. There is large schools of carp? looking things. Yeah, I don't know what they are. Kinda yellowish gold, with cross/hatched looking scales. Look like bait to me.

4. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    Great...Thanks alot...Sounds like i might be out practicing tomorow...It looks kinda hard to do i just hope i dont catch me and tree limbs and loose my net.

5. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Most small impoundments have regulations prohibiting taking fish from methods other than pole and line. It is probably a good idea to check the regulations board at the parking lot or contact your local conservation agent.

6. iusckeeper

iusckeeper New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not many regs on throw nets... just don't keep anything you accidently caught!

7. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    You will lose it eventually. Just kind of goes with the territory. Always keep an extra on board the boat.

8. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I have had about 18 throw nets. I have found the best place to practice is on short grass in yard where there are no trees. Your net doesnt get dirty or torn up and you can get comfortable with your technique.

9. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo

the backyard is also where I sharpen my skills. I use soccer balls as targets. it makes it more fun to actually have to aim the net, (like at a school of shad) throw it and bring the ball to you. it wont damage your net and its easy just to kick it back out.

my first cast net was the normal type and it was all I could do to make it open 1 out of 10 times. I only caught about 3 shad with it the entire time I had it. it flew out of the back of my buddies boat when we were at lake of the ozarks.

the one I have now is the one with the accu throw ring deal and now I get an absolutely perfect spread about 9 out of 10 times. I got my first full spread the second time I threw it.

anyone else have one of these?

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    YOU GUYS MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WITH YOUR STATE REGS, BEFORE YOU GO OUT AND BUY YOUR NETS. SOME STATES HAVE DIFFERENT RULE ON THEM.

WE WAS ON THE ILL SIDE OF THE MISS. RIVER AND GOT STOP BY THE ILL WATER PATROL. WHO INFORMED US ABOUT THE NET SIZE. I FORGOT THE EXACT SIZE BUT ......... JUST CHECK IT OUT TRUST ME.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    (I give up. Typed my reply twice and lost it both times. So now you get the ultra-short version.)

See http://www.allthreads.com/docs/Catfishing-MORegsSummary.pdf for answers to many common questions

With regard to this specific question, see p. 28-39 of "A Summary of Missouri Fishing Regulations" - available here: http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/2115.pdf and in print at any retailer who sells Missouri hunting and fishing permits.

If the lake is posted "FISHING BY POLE AND LINE ONLY" you can't use a throw net (or trotline or seine or jugs or...)

12. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    Thanks alot that had all the info i need

13. catfish Wizard

catfish Wizard New Member

State:
    Independence missouri
    You can catch all the shad you want we do all the time no problem

14. IDODIKES

IDODIKES New Member

State:
    missouri
    I find it best to go to your local lake, and throw right in the middle of the boat ramp. Your net will not get hung, and you actually have the ability to net a few gizzards. Just stay as far away from the taco's as you can.

Brock

15. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    just go out in the back yard and throw i use to do that all the time it also helps after you clean or soak a net to throw it in the yard a couple of times to dry it out just my 2 cents