Throw nets Vs Seining and where?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by GrandpaGoneFishing, Mar 17, 2006.

1. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I have not used a seining net in decades and have never used a throw net. Most of the time when I head out for bait I'm alone. So my question I guess is. How hard is it to learn throw the net? And what Kind would you suggest? Guess I had better check the regulations also.

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, it's not easy, at first, to learn. Much easier if you can find some one to coach you. There are videos, etc, that'll show you the basics, but some one that knows how to cast one, standing there watching you and pointing out your mistakes. I wasn't this fortunate, it took me about a year before I considered my self proficient. When I started, I could get it out, not very far, and catch a few shad. I started with a 3.5 ft, and now can cast a 7 ft with no problem, using my own technique. Just by a small one and start pitching. Most nets I've seen come with some basic moves.

3. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Its not too bad to learn to throw a net. Instructions come with it, but like anything else, it just takes practice. Start small though--like 3.5' radius. You'll figure out your own way and just get better from there. I usually have better luck(perch and other small baitfish) throwing up close to the bank at night. During the day I can throw all over the pond and catch nothing but moss. At night, however, you can throw almost anywhere, or at least I seem to, and catch them.

4. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks for the Input, had no idea what size net to start with. I'll get out this week end and pick one up. Live just off a small lake so I'll just add 30 minutes to the dogs walks every day and give it a toss. Maybe by summer I'll get the hang of it. would the ones at Walmart be good enough?
    thanks again for the help guys.
    Any and all info is always appreciated.

IF YOUR TO BUSY TO GO FISHING - YOUR JUST TO BUSY. :0a23:

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah the ones at Walmart are good enough. I had a lot of trouble learning to throw the smaller ones, so I sprung more money and got the $25 super spreader, that has the 5' radius. It is alot easier to throw. It has a metal ring in the middle to hold on to, and you only need one hand to operate it , unlike the smaller ones where you need two. The smaller ones run about $15 , but you'll be glad you spent the extra $10 for the bigger one. Besides you get an extra 1.5 ft radius which will get you a few more baitfish. :)

6. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Then the
    sounds like the way to go. when we get a nice enough day again we can hook up and you can turn me onto the tricks of the trade. Going to an auction south of here tomorrow, so I'll just hit the Ft. Scott Walmart.
    Any one ever hit up them auctions for fishing equipment? I do some times and it can be a hoot. Never know what things will go for. I might get allot or maybe nothing, We'll See tomorrow.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, one more suggestion I'd like to make, I'd buy a mono rather than a nylon net. My reason, after they hit the water, you can shake it off the mono, to me at least, the mono feels lighter.

8. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Jay,

You've gotten some good advice so far.

My suggestion is to get you a 4' mono net, and start practicing in your yard. You can throw all day in your yard and not worry about snags and such. Once you get proficient there, you can move on to the water.

When teaching yourself to throw, start out as the instructions state (and/or visit the BOC library for articles), but then don't be afraid to change a minor detail or two to develop your own style. At first you should be concentrating on getting the net to open fully and land as such. After you can consistantly get a good spread on the throw, then you can work on the distance the net travels before it opens, which is easy after you master the spread.

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well I personally didnt find it too hard. I learned within the first 10 or so throws. If you go to the library and look up "Keith's way of throwing a cast net," I found that one to be the easiest of all of them. I can throw my net (4' radius I think) fairly well now. I only have marginal mess ups.

:0a26:

10. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I agree Jay, I would start with a small net If I were you. I started with a 4' net and worked my way up to a 7' which I mainly use for throwing over the walls with a long rope at spillways. When I am on the bank I preferr to use a 6' net. "the 7' kills my tennis elbow, which I have from fishing too much" My girlfriend is a freak of nature she picked up my 7' net and was able to throw it perfectly with only one explanation. Melanie really enjoys catching bait so often times she will net shad for me while I fish. I believe the reason she is so good at throwing the net is the fact that women are more limber than men and swing more at the hips. Throwing a net is all subtle technique not brute force for me it took many hours of practice in the back yard.

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I found this to be a pretty good site for learning to throw a net. I have seen large nets thrown this way, but cuban style is best. Tho nobody I know throws over a 6-8' net. Cuban style is really for 10' and bigger.
    http://www.catchnbait.com/cast-net-throwing.html

12. CatfishSam

CatfishSam New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We used to us a seine in creeks and caught lots of perch and bullheads.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Eric, thanks, that was a very entertaining explanation;):rolleyes: