Throw nets on Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tnfishman, May 24, 2007.

1. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I thought throw nets were not allowed on monticello, my first trip there and I saw several people throwing them. Are the legal or not?

2. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I'm not sure about throw nets ,But I know there is no commercial fishing.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    In the 2006-2007 Rules and Regulations Monticello isn't listed any more but when I called the DNR last fall they said it was a no-no. So I'm not to sure.

4. jmcgill

jmcgill New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    they have a sing at the ramps they say no cast nets.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What's the logic in that one?

If cast nets are OK all over the resst of the state, then why not Monticello?

I could see keeping them off the small DNR ponds and such, but why Monticello?

My suspicion would be that some big shot lives on the lake, and he doesn't like them.

6. jmcgill

jmcgill New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you cant ski or ride a jet ski there eather.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well, now. I have to admit, that part I like! We deffinately need more jet ski-free zones (like where ever I fish).

8. barraGouda

barraGouda New Member

State:
    SC
    i agree... jetski's are fisherman's antichrist..

they are fun as s*&t tho. :wink:

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have never actually been on one. They do look like fun, though. That's the problem: the very way they are intended to be used, they are annoying as all heck to the rest of the world!!! We almost need to creat zones for those kind of boaters (jet skis, water skiers, wake borders, generally all joy riders) and prohibit them from bothering the rest of us in the rest of the water.

10. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i was under the impression you can not throw a cast net on monty and can't even have one in your possession on the boat or you will get fined for that.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    You can throw the net all you want to but when that little unmarked john boat slides up on you or the big marked center console then you want be able to throw it anymore.