Throw net- I need help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Beaver, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Beaver

Beaver New Member

State:
    California
    What size of throw net do you guys recommend I start with.
    I will be throwing it from my boat.
    Any comments or suggestions on how to throw it will be helpful.

Thanks Brothers.

HARRY

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Harry, before you start throwing one from a boat, you should practice with a 3' net on land till you figure it out good.
    A castnet can be very difficult in a boat at times(wakes from other boats and obsticals in the boat). Practice makes perfect. Just friendly advice Buddy!!!

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I totally agree with JW, practice in your yard some. That's how I did it, I actually started out with a 6ft net, and then once I mastered throwing the 6ft I moved up to a 7ft. Luckily I can catch most of my bait off the shore, I have a hard time throwing the net off our little 14ft boat.

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree... practice on land before even think about throwing from a boat or you'll throw yourself right in the water.... and hes is also right about a 3' net... they can be very difficult at first..

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I just started throwing a castnet a couple of months ago. After talking to a bunch of people and seeing what was said here, I got a 3.5 footer. It took a while, but I've gotten better and get just about all the bait I need. But, the next net will be a 5 footer. If you know someone with a 5 foot or larger castnet that'll help you learn, do it. But, if you are doing it on your own like me, the smaller net will be easier to learn with. Most don't tell you, but casting a net can be hard on the back until you are used to it.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I would suggest starting with a bigger one. 3 1/2 feet is really small, and as you throw in deeper water it will be virtually ineffective.

Throw in the driveway. It is a lot easier than picking all the grass out of it!!!!

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Get some practice on dry land first then try on the boat. Water has a mind of its own so it's not always smooth.

9. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    The video from Calusa that "blackwaterkatz" mentioned is the way I learned. Start with a 3' net. It will make it a lot easier to learn due to less weight.

10. smitty1

smitty1 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey beav, I agree it is easier to start with a smaller net and also you want to look at your state regulations on a legal size also. To try to tell ya how to throw it thats imposible with out showing ya, but if ya buy one of those with the throwing ring, I hear they do help. I have one but could throw a net before i bought it, it was the only one they had at the store. Well good luck with the net and good luck fishing

11. ccfields

ccfields New Member

State:
    Va
    I would start with the 3' net for a week, but move on to the 6'. That's the size I recomend for catching bait fish.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Harry, Harry, visit the library... there's lots of info on cast nets...:big_smile:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Never anger a dragon, for you are crunchy and you go well with Brie.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Of course, if you want to throw big nets and they don't allow them in your state, move to Texas. The max size is 14 ft, bigger than a lot of boats.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    When hearing these sizes, remember one thing. They come in either radias or diameter. Big difference! I bought one oneline before that said it was a 6ft castnet. It was! 6ft radias! I still haven't been able to throw that 12 ft diameter net.
    I, too, would suggest starting out with a 3ft "radias" (6ft dia) net. It takes practice alright, but don't get discouraged. It's like riding a bike, once you learn it, you will always be able to throw one. I have taught dozens of folks to throw castnets. Some were throwing like pro's within an hour. If I could offer only one bit of advice, it is this. You are not throwing the net, you are swinging the weights in a large circle, then letting loose at the right time. If you are holding it correctly, it will open up properly.

15. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    see the video done by tea very well done

16. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Remember that when you use a castnet in a boat you do not tie off the rope to your hand. Tie it to a gunwhale on the boat. This way if you snag you do not end up being pulled into the water.

17. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
  18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can thrwo one great from the bank, but I hate throwing them from a boat, I dont like boats:big_smile: To Rocky..I would suggest a 4 ft mono net, something like Betts tyzak!

19. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    Harry i agree with JW i think that you should throw from the shore befor you do from the bank. i tried to throw teas and it is for sure something you have to get down. as a mater of fact tea just posted a great peace on how to throw a cast net. you can find it on in the library. has video and everything

20. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i would say a 6ft diameter (3foot radius)....you'll catch bait, learn, and eventually gain confidence to throw a ten footer!!