throw net discussion

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by playin4funami, Oct 27, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I noticed on another thread that some of the Nebraska guys don't like the cast nets.

I think the cast nets are an incredible tool for the catfisherman,allowing us to catch live bait quickly and easily,right where we fish. Now I realize that most of Nebraska is off-limits for cast nets,but this isn't what I was talking about,I was wondering what are your veiws on cast nets and why?
    Let's discuss it!

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I love em....I own 1.....and I used it twice this year......

nothing better for getting live bait in my eyes....I can see why nebraska has laws on them tho....you can wipe out a spot with a few nice throws..

hopefully we can use them this thursday don

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I say use them. Use them in branched oak & pawnee where the white perch were stocked eroneously by G&P and are out of control. I don't understand the stupidity of outlawing them altogether in lakes where certain fish need to be removed. Make it legal to use them during daylight hours in areas that are easily monitored.

4. NebraskaWalleye

NebraskaWalleye New Member

State:
    Viola Kansas
    There is no reason I see not to use them as long as people do not keep game fish but if they are gonna put regulations on something as minuscule as this why dont they just say we cant fish unless a G&P official is standing right over us to make sure we dont keep fish undersized or in the slot. I own one and will be replacing it soon it has about 30yds of mono stitched into it now so its doesnt throw quite right anymore but I can still get about 5 dozen shad in it at Johnson in one throw or about 12 dozen on the 90 mile. granted the ones I dont need that day get tossed back I only keep about 3 dozen at a time unless it coming up on winter kill then if I get into them I keep them and freeze them. and white perch need to be removed from any and all water systems any lake they have been put into they have ruined, they even ruin the rivers and canal systems the lakes are attached too. another notch in the whoopin board for G&P.

5. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    idk... i got one would like to use it and not know i wouldn't get in trouble if someone sees me:angry:.. but again that hasn't stopped anyone:wink: maybe since i got an iowa permit im ok:cool2: oh by the way the bait fish like to hang out in the slack water behind the dikes

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    according to the ngpc,the reason is to limit the amount or possibility of transfering species from one body of water to another.
    Yet we already have laws against the transportation and use of baitfish from one body of water to another,yet there are no restictions on dipp-nets and minnow traps like there are on cast nets???
    I believe that the ngpc is afraid folks will net and keep gamefish,and that it is easier to bann the nets than enforce the laws,or that they are misinformed about cast netting.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    You guys had me curious, those are some pretty strict regs :crazy:

"Cast nets may be used to collect bait with the following restrictions:
    Cast nets may be used only on the following bodies of water: Calamus Reservoir, Davis Creek Reservoir, Elwood Reservoir, Enders Reservoir, Farwell South Reservoir, Gallagher Canyon Reservoir, Harlan County Reservoir, Jeffrey Reservoir, Johnson Lake, Lake Maloney, Medicine Creek Reservoir, Lake McConaughy, Phillips Canyon Reservoir, Plum Creek Reservoir, Red Willow Reservoir, Sherman Reservoir, Sutherland Reservoir, Swanson Reservoir and the Tri-County Canal from the diversion dam in Lincoln County to the J-2 return.

• Only cast nets up to 10 feet in diameter with a mesh size no larger
    than three-eighths inches square measure are legal gear.
    • Cast nets may be used only during July, August, September, October
    and November.
    • Cast nets may be used to collect gizzard shad and alewife only.
    • Live gizzard shad and alewife only may be used for bait the same day
    they were captured and only in the same body of water where they were
    collected."

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    yep pretty restrictive when most of those lakes where it is legal to use a cast net for less than half the year are in one area and most of the states waters do not allow their use. The part that most upsets me is that other methods are allowed in the majority of other areas,without having specific laws and useage rules against them,while we are discriminated against for the use of cast nets,making the states restrictions a bogus and thoughtless rule.

9. NebraskaWalleye

State:
    Viola Kansas

Exactly. I can set as many traps as id like as long as i have my phone number etc attached to them and they are checked every 24 hours.

10. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Now that we can clearly see where we can use them maybe we should take a new vote on where to have a gathering.

11. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    i know where to get shad without a throw net... i asked ngpc at the outdoor show a couple years ago about shad trawls.... they all said ok for them.. think the main reason was they didn't know what i was talking about untill i told them they said if not in the book it's ok... still havn't got one

12. NebraskaWalleye

State:
    Viola Kansas

Not everyone has a boat, lol.

13. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city

no need for a boat... just wait for the river to come out of its banks get the big sein... shad crappie carp walleye you name it :cool2:

14. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    here's one

http://www.texastastes.com/p138.htm

15. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    If you have an iowa license you can use a castnet up to 10ft in diameter

16. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    they would go by the state with the stiffer law i think... like i said i think

17. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    If i read that right that is if you have only a NE license and your fishing on the MO Butif you have both licenses and you on the Iowa side I think you use the iowa Regulations and fish off of your iowa license...But i just read on the negp site that you can use u to 10ft also..and 3/8 bar masure i hik it said...We can only use 1/4 i think..Maybe we can use 3/4 not sure

18. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Iowa and Nebraska have full reciprocity agreements regarding angling. This means that with a valid Iowa Fishing License, you may legally fish (including hook and line, hand fishing, snagging, spearing and bow and arrow) in any border water. While on the Iowa portion of that water body, you must comply with the Iowa Fishing Regulations.
    With a valid sport fishing permit from either Iowa or Nebraska you can fish in the waters of the Missouri River lying between the two states.
    You can fish in all oxbows, sloughs, chutes, and backwaters that draw water from the Missouri River proper and oxbows, chutes, and backwaters separated from the Missouri River by land if the state boundary line passes through some part of these waters.
    You can fish from boats or from the bank.
    An angler must always follow the most restrictive regulations between the two states when he is fishing outside of his/her licensed state.
    In DeSoto Bend Lake, you must conform with federal refuge regulations as posted under the authority of Section 33.19 of Title 50 CFR.

So it looks like you can follow each state laws depending on which side your fishing on since you have both licenses

19. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
  20. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I Do not like that lake at all... LOL