Throw lines.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by cuttingout69, Aug 15, 2005.

1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Is there anyone on here yet using throw lines? I have put most of mine away for a few months, till the water gets right again. It is to hot and there is no current in the river right now. I hope to do some more good fishing this Sept and Oct. I think the flats will start biting again good then.

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Forgotten, I just don't have the patients to sit with a rod in my hand like a lot of people do. I love picking up my lines and seeing what is there. I get the thrill of the pull and the fight. When I R&R, I fish for the little ones. Fry hole size. I like to R&R, but I love to throw line. I just love to be on the river peroid.

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    hey cuttinout69, I saw a man fishing with a line wound round a plastic coke bottle. Is that what u mean throw lines?
    He would point the bottle and throw the bait and it would spinn off like off a reel.

4. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I think the throwline he is talking about is like a trotline. It has heavy nylon line, about six hooks, and about an 8 oz. weight. Then you just throw them out from shore, and tie them up.

I have seen people using plastic bottles as reels at a local park. I guess they couldn't afford a rod and reel. But they were casting farther than everyone else.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Like set lines I think. I use yo-yo's and get a lot of small cats for cooking up.

6. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey guys. I posted a drawing of what I use and how I fish them. They put it in the libary, which I do not think has made it over yet. I don't know how to up load yet our I would put the drawing up for ya'll. Well I just tried and you can not load a drawing on here. I had it drawn in micsoft works and the system will not let me up load that. It is a trotline type set that is weighted on one end and tie off to the bank on the other. I set mine from a boat so it is not really being thrown in. I use 5 foot spacing between the drops off the main line and the drops are no more than 12" long. The most hooks I put on a line is 15. That is a big one. I mainly use 10 hook or less. They are great as you don't put all you hooks in one spot. I have set that I will always set unless the river changes and makes it useless. I have fished this way for years now. I have pulled up to tie offs and have up to 5 old ties on it where I have fished before. Catch alot of fish in the spring and early summer. Never do to well this time of year as the current is slow to no. I wil start catching on them again in the fall. It is work, but I love doing it. I just love being on the river any day I can.

7. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Hey Tony, I am assuming from your posts that throwlines work best when you have some current? Do they not work well in still water? I have ran trotlines but have never used a throwline but plan on trying it out once I get back to a state where its legal.

8. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    ok, me slow, throwlines are short trotlines tied to the bank, kinda like a multihook setline or limbline
    who knows, I might learn something here someday!
    No quarantees tho! :eek:

9. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    I've used throw lines for years and not necessarily throwing them as implied but put out by hand while wading or out of a boat tying off to roots or dead falls. Like you say there is something to be said for the excitement of whats pulling or tugging on the line when you check them. We are allowed 50 hooks here in Ill. unless it is specified differently on certain bodies of water. So mine have from 5 to 25 hooks usually. I use them mostly in the spring in the flooded timbers during high water.
    I used to think that some of the ILL. laws really sucked until seeing some of the regs. other states have. I guess we do have some liberal fishing laws here. Schoe

10. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Schoe and Willisjj. Schoe, I use troutlines in the dead water or flooded timber. I use 25 hook lines and bait with what ever. I don't do this very often as it stays flooded here most of the time. :D I use throw lines most all the time. Yes JJ I want current when running them. Find current you will find fish. Catfish love current. They feed in the eddies and slow spots. I use nothing but live bream any more. I set them from a boat in deep water. I will put what I call staging on to make the first anchor sit on bottom and then the whole line is on the bottom. I use to fish up the bank with the first hook just under the water. 90% of the time caught on the next to the last or the last hook. Once I started putting the whole line on the bottom, I started catching more fish on the whole line. There is nothing like a fight with 6 fish on a 10 hook line. It is work though. wish i could post the drawing.

11. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thanks Tony. Appreciate the helpful info and like always you seem to be full of it (in more ways than one, lol). Just kidding, anyway, if that drawing is still on the old site you can probably post the url here. That was a great drawing by the way, they should add it to the library.

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Tony, Email me the drawing and I will turn it into a pjg for ya.

tdawgnok@hotmail.com

then PM to let me know ya sent it as I don't check that email very often.

13. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks Jeremy and Tony. Tony I sent the drawings to you by email. Thanks for your help with this. Jeremy, Tony is going to change the drawing to jpg or something so we can put them up here again. Catch ya'll later.

14. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Great, can't wait to see them.

15. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks Tony for putting them in a format that I could up load here. Here are the drawings that I made of how I thrw line. Hope this helps. I went ahead loaded up the drawing of the set hook too. You can tell it, as it has one hook, on one line. Got lucky today, they are taring down a old school in the town where I work, and I got 22, 12-16 lbs window weights for end weights on my throw lines. Boy I needed them too. I have lost so many to the river over the years. I talked to the guys doing the work and they said they would save me all the ones from the other bldgs as they tare them down. I am proud as can be to get them. Later. Well I posted them and went back and looked, they didn't not come out as clear as they did in the orignal Excel file. But I think you can see what I am talking about. Thanks again Tony for helping change the format.

Attached Files:

16. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Thanks for the pictures. That does look like throwlining takes a lot of work.

17. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Self88, it is a lot of work, but it is worth the efforts when the fish come rolling in. I have as much fun doing this as I do hunting deer. It took me a long time to get the style down, and it is a style all my own. I can set lines quick with a motor man and good current.