Throw Lines

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by pup, Nov 13, 2006.

1. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Tell how or if anybody use for bait on there lines? GOD BLESS

2. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    on my throw line i do kinda like limb line with a piece of bungi cord and twineish yarn.but i usually rig like cut bait or live gills but smaller ones

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Troy, not really sure what your question was - but welcome to the BOC anyhow. LOL. Throw lines are simple trotlines anchored generally to the bank on one end. The bait is the same as you would use on a rod and reel, a jug line, or a trotline. They are slightly more prone to hanging up as you have to drag them in to the bank to check them - so you may want to make your hook stagings a much lighter weight than your mainline. Also, I'd recommend some type of shock absorber like a bicycle inner tube or bungee cord where you tie it to the bank. Be extrememly careful of the flying hooks when you throw it out. Other than that, have fun.

4. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    sorry awshcuks my typing and computer skills need work.will try better next time.thanks for the reply. yes you have to watch for hooks when throwing them out.i was wondering if punch bait in some sort of holder of some kind would work. GOD BLESS

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yes, it would work... if you don't throw it off the line trying to get it out. I would think you need to use cut bait, like shad or perch. Maybe just thread a minnow on the hook like you would a worm...cats love them that way also. Spend some time looking here....

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50475#post50475

6. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Years ago a neighbor of mine used pantyhose with punch bait in it tied to hooks worked ok he caught fish. god bless

7. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    crawdads work well on throw lines, limb lines.

8. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yes I agree crawdads are good on the lines but we seine them but in winter they hard to find . THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GOOD FISHING AND GOD BLESS ALL

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shrimp works also.

10. davy51

davy51 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My dad always used chicken skin on his throwlines he swore by it

he always brought home good sized cats

11. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I never used throw lines in a lake so I can not give you any input on that method.I did use them in rivers for about 25 years.
    The biggest problem I have seen with some people is trying to use to long of a main line.You can only throw so much line.I never used more than about 10 hooks on a throw line because I mostly fished log jams.As for bait,I mostly used fished for flats so I used gills. Fishing in rivers I tied my main line to anything solid, I guess in a lake you might need something to keep slack out, but you do not need to in a river,the current takes care of that.
    To keep from getting hooked (1)use a shorter line (2) I hold the weight and walk up river,keeping the line tight.(3) just throw the weight no hooks no mess. The current will take care of the rest. Hope this helps.JMO

12. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks alot for the info .the red is getting some water in it might be able to fish it soon. if anybody is catching on the red let me know and i will try to get off work and maybe catch something. ........good fishing and god bless

13. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

I'd have to go with bluegill, crawdads or in summer, grasshoppers. Good luck.

Paul

14. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks for the info cjscaster crawdads and grasshoppers are good bait wished i had some frozen grasshoppers might work goodin the river for some channel catthanks again ........good fishing and god bless

15. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Small chunks of Ivory bar soap. Works very well. Also, if you want to buy some bait, goldfish. Cjcaster will testify for the goldfish....Good luck!