Throw lines - How do you fish them?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by jkm4874ford, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Was wondering how these work. Some of my fishing will be from the bank this year and was thinking of trying this. Never seen it done. was wonder how it is done. I was thinking 4 or 5 hooks around 4 foot apart, was wondering how hard it was to get one thrown out and pulled back in.

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    You do not want coil multible hooks on a throwline there would be to
    a problem with tangles and the possiblity of hooking your self. You
    could tie your line off and stretch it down the bank with all hooks baited
    and a weight on the end. With you line and hooks clear of the ground
    pitch your weight toward the water in front of where you are tied off.
    It takes a little practice doing this and getting your line tight.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Whatever you do, DON'T rig your throwline that way!!!!

Depending on how close together your state regs will let you put your hooks, you might get as many as 3 hooks on the line, but 2 is probably better, especially till you get used to throwing the thing. In any case, you want ALL your hooks to be hanging below your hand when you pick up your line to throw it. Having hooks come flying up behind you is just asking to get yourself all snagged up in the line. When I've used them, I've put my weight on the end of the line, a hook on a short dropper 8"-12" above the weight, and a second hook on a short dropper 24" above that hook. That means I can grab the line just above the top hook and only have about 3' or so of line to swing to throw it out.

4. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think poppa was describing the only way I have ever seen a throw line tossed out--stake one end near the water, stretch the line along the waters edge, then "throw" the weight towards the middle or out as far as you wish, no way to get tangled up in it as long as you stay the lines length away from the stake.

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Ya Rod you are right.
    Dad used to throw a 15 hook line that way.
    Stake where you are throwing with the stake on your throwing arm side.
    the best 2ya
    just

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ok, I can see where that method would work if you've got the open space to do it. Bear in mind, though, that the more hooks you've got out there, the greater the chance of one of them snagging on something.

7. crittcocatman

crittcocatman New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have a line with 9 hooks that I throw that way. You definately have to have a clear spot and also be carefull not to strain too much, I tore some muscles in my arm Sunday throwing mine out. I don't know what is worse, the pain or the sound of your own muscle tearing in your arm... OUCH!

8. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    what about a floating throw line. i made one and only used it once.but it seemed to have throwed out easy.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    An RC boat with a cervo claw to drop the line would be cool! I've never used a throw-line. I'm too lazy.

10. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    This is looking more and more like I could pull it off. Had not thought about the stake deal.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Kieth, You shouldn't have to worry about getting hooked if you are fishing legally. In Old Kentuck set/bank/throw line can only have one hook. A trot line can have fifty, but it has to be set three feet under the water. That means you cant just throw it out there unless you want to get wet! lol :wink:

12. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I tried the staked throw line a year or so ago at a lake.

One pound bar weight and three hooks.

I held the weight and tossed like mad! It worked like it should...but I didn't catch a single fish!

But, that's the story of my life!:smile2:

Bill

13. deer74turkey

deer74turkey New Member

State:
    LaPorte, Indiana
    Here are some hints for this. Use a utility style string. Check with your state rules and regulations for how many hooks you can put on the line and how far apart (the lesser of hooks used the easier to deal with). Instead of putting the hooks on the string, loop a swivel in the line so that the hooks can be detached for easy no tangled mess. attach the snail hooks to approximatley 1 foot long strings with a snap swivel on the other side to attach to the swivels on the line. When the hooks are not in use hang them in a 5 gallon bucket.

Weight on both sides of the line assists with getting the catfish hooked properly. Instead of throwing your line out, walk out into the water approximatley knee deep and just stretch it out. Make sure the line is tight with the weights in place. Use a jug to mark the ends of the line so you know where their at and check your lines every hour. I got my limit before with two buddies in less than 3 hours. It's fun too. The best time to start doing this is at sunset and through the night.

Have fun, hope this helps!

14. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    The only thing I can add on this is emphasizing the importance of being carefull throwing one of them out that has multiple hooks. The importance of being carefull was self taught!:eek:oooh: I found out human skin is pretty tough, it is capable of making one of those red bricks come to a dead stop in mid air when a hook decides to impale your arm (like a catfish lip) after it has already sliced said skin for about 3 inches in 2 spots. In 2 spots because somehow I managed to get it wrapped around my arm after I released it. Oh the childhood memories! :embarassed: LOL