Throw Line question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BhamRoadrunner, May 9, 2006.

1. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Basically since I dont' have access to a boat this weekend, I'm looking at running a trotline of sorts from the bank, AKA throwline (I would assume)

I ran one last weekend, with some success. I want to step it up a good bit from a 30 foot that I was using in the backwater to a 100 foot that I can use just off the main channel.

So my question becomes, other than general recommendations pro or con, What would be the best way to get the 100 foot line out there without getting snagged by a hook on the way out? It just doesn't sound too pleasant to push 5/0 hooks through the skin to cut the barb off.

2. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well to each his own on different methods......One way that I do it, is to put the hooks on after I have my line out in its final resting position before I even put a single hook on. My reason behind this is, it is tooooo dangerous to handle a line, the boat, the weights, and floats all while dodging hooks. On my lines I leave the staging on and only have the hooks to mess with when taking up/putting out lines.

If I am completely off from the question you ask please let me know.

3. BhamRoadrunner

State:
    Alabama
    Yea, No access to a boat this weekend, so I have to throw the line out there. Basically I'll be running half to 3/4 a line because the first half will be in too shallow of water to do anything effectively except feed bream.

Hooks will have to be on the line prior to the throw, I prefer not to swim in the river honestly. Got any suggestions on how to throw it without getting hooked?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When you're using a throwline (throwing the line from the bank), only put on 2 or 3 hooks on the end so that you are holding the line ABOVE all the hooks. If you have hooks on back up the line, they're going to be flying past you, and sooner or later flying INTO you. Some states require that the hooks be a minimum distance apart, which would probably mean that you could only use two hooks safely.

5. BhamRoadrunner

State:
    Alabama
    Should I still run them on leaders or will it even really matter if they are close to the main line ?

6. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It would be illogical to try to throw a 100 ft line with hooks,Big red flag VERY DANGEROUS!!! If you want to get creative try a remote controlled boat to take your line out, anything other than ending up with a bunch of piercings that you really don't need....

7. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is the Southeast Missouri Sure Fire Method.

The weight on the end needs a loop so you can run a line through. Use 240 feet of plain line or rope and run 120 feet though the loop on the weight. Throw out the weight with the plain line on it and hold on to both ends. Then tie the trotline to one of the ends, bait it and pull it into the water with the other end and tie it off when you are there.

I would say use a 1 pound coffee can with a I-bolt and concrete for the weight.

If you use a strong enough rope you could sling it overhead into the water.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your gonna throw a 100 hook line, I'd suggest you have a real good pair of dykes in each hip pocket, band-aids, and some disenfectent. I think you will need them before its over. LOL

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    depending on how much bank room you have is going to depend on how long your line can logically be.... What i do when i work with throw lines is i tie it off to the tree/dock i want to run it from... then stretch the line the whole distance along the bank.... attach the hooks and bait (try and keep the leaders on the shorter side but as long as you have enough distance between the hooks on it it shouldn't be a problem at all. The weight you have to throw will be your biggest thing... i tend to like a normal red brick but the fish i catch tend not to be over 3 or 4 lbs on it... atleast not yet...Its easy to throw, easy to tie to (the ones w/ the holes in it, the ones i use have 8) and gives it enough weight to hold for most fish... plus it won't hang up too badly in most places... Anyway once you have it all the way laid out and baited... pick up the weight (in my case the brick) and chuck that in to the water (making sure its tied to the line well too)... that will carry the line in to the water and the pendulum action on the rope will keep it fairly straight... then just wait ... if you feel a fish tug on it wait .... then pull it in when your too ancy to wait any longer.... enjoy the fish :wink:

10. BhamRoadrunner

State:
    Alabama
    Awesome idea photocat, we have well over 100 feet of bank to work with.

I was trying to keep from going with the "hip" crowd and having piercings everywhere on my body. :lol:

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I wonder if a jumpbox would work. As you normally use a jumpbox, you have to keep turning the box so that the hooks are always coming off the back side of the box, and you wouldn't be able to turn the box if you're throwing out the line, but if you put all the hooks on the back (water) side of the box, it might work. Just be sure to stand behind the box and throw the weight over it; have 6'-8' of line between the bottom hook and the anchor.

12. BhamRoadrunner

State:
    Alabama
    I try and run at least 10 feet between the anchor and the first hook and about 10 feet from the shore-side anchor point, typically a tent stake or two. On smaller lines, doesn't leave me a whole lot of play room for hooks.

I'm thinking that this pendulum action may work very well. My buddy I go fishing with is pretty strong and so am i, so I believe we could make this work pretty well.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I use to stake out trot lines parallel to the bank in 1 to 2 feet of water at times and do well.Cats often feed along shorelines.Sandbars with clams are good.When the turtles are hatching is good.Also down stream of a bridge where Swallows nest,WHEN the baby birds are leaving the nest.There are always some and some times a lot that end up in the water.Larger pieces of cut bait or live bait keep the small fish off.The cats are feeding on all of the feed that hides in shallow water.As I was targeting the smaller eating cats,the larger cats were often a nuisance to put up with and release.Large and small cats will often feed in water shallow enough to expose their backs as will bream.They do it often enough that Barn Owls catch and feed on them.peewee-williams

14. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What is a jump box?

15. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Alex if you were successful in getting your throw line out I think you would have a real problem getting it back. Pulling the weight along the bottom, bare hooks grabbing, weight of the fish caught, debris built up from current. I'd bite the bullet and try next time with a boat. Sure isn't worth you or anyone getting hurt over. Just my opinion, be safe & good luck!
    Don

16. BhamRoadrunner

State:
    Alabama
    Well I believe that I will run it parallel to the bank for 100 feet or so about 2 hours prior to sun set. Probably put a couple glow sticks on it so I can keep up with it progress and any troubles that it may come across if any large fish hit it. Just gives me another reason to catch bluegills and other smaller fish during the day honestly.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A jumpbox is a shallow wooden box, usually square with slits cut into the sides every inch or so. Normally, you would start coiling the trotline inside the box, hanging the hooks in the slits as you come to them, so that the hooks are hanging outside the box. You start with a hook in a corner and work your way around the box. As you pay out the line, the hooks will pop out all by themselves. You have to keep the box turned so that the side where the hooks are coming out is pointed toward the water. I've seen commercial fishermen put out a trotline with the outboard at full throttle using a jumpbox. To use one with a throwline, you'd put the shore end of the line in first, because you'd be throwing to make the line come out. Because you wouldn't have the opportunity to turn the box, all the hooks would have to be on one side. And be sure to stand behind the box while throwing. Here's a link to a sketch I made of a jumpbox. It's rough, but it'll give you the general idea.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647&highlight=jumpbox

18. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Thats why a small red brick works so well... its only a couple of pounds and isn't too hard to pull back in so it won't add too much weight to the catch...

19. BhamRoadrunner

State:
    Alabama
    So I forgot to bring a weight with me, :sad2:, I guess I'll try again some other weekend.

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Get some netting from the fabric shop in Wally world. Use a heavy clip to hook the fabric on to your line and put in a rock of whatever wieght you think you need or several small ones. Throw it out, if it gets hung up when you go to drag it back in, the netting will rip, poof the wieght is gone. Hook another rock on the same way and toss it back out again. Just a natural rock in the water, netting back in, no polution of the water at all.Theres always rocks around and they are free. Good luck.