Throw line info

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by catface, May 18, 2006.

1. catface

catface New Member

I would like to set some throw lines out and need to know the best type line to use and how to tie on my hooks. We put them out in the missouri river 60+ years ago and we used what ever we could get . We grew up river rats.I am shure what we had was not the best,as we lost a lot of fish and lines . But things have changed now. Lines, hooks,everything is different now, so If someone could help with info or mayby a interrnet site that would show me the way.
    CATFACE
    Joe B

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I would never put more than one or two hooks on a throwline, at the very end; well, actually the weight is on the VERY end, but one hook just above it, and maybe a second above that, IF the state regs don't require that the hooks be so far apart that it makes it unsafe to throw. Now, getting a hung-up trotline free while running it from a boat is hard enough; getting a hung-up throwline free is probably not gonna happen, so using a 'leader' can be a great help. You need line that is large enough that it's not going to cut into your fingers, so you probably want 300#-400# test, or even heavier. But if that hangs up, how are you going to break it? Attach a 'leader' of 100# test nylon so that if it hangs up, you can pull hard enough to break the leader and retreive the main throwline. If you are concerned that a big cat might break that 100# test line, you can add some kind of 'snubber' to cushion the pull on the line. One of the most common ways is to simply tie the shore end of the line to a limb, making the throwline a limbline; another is to use a heavy duty bungee cord or piece of old inner tube.

3. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I thought I'd heard it all, but never heard "throw line." What is it? I'm guessing just a line you literally "throw" out in the water and fish?
    In our area we have several Hispanics who use coffee can reels... literally. They have a coffee can they hold in one hand, throw bait or lure out and wind back in just by using free hand to wind line around the coffee can. They can wind a crankbait back as fast as I can work a 6:1 ratio spinning reel! It's impressive.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is what mine were. And I started fishing them 35 years ago. But it helped to live along the river. I was and still hope to always be a river rat.

My throw lines were always around 25ft long and had 4 or 5 hooks on them. And a brink on the end. Spaced the hooks out to 20" apart. And used number #21 twisted line for the main line. And number #9 for the trotters.
    Also I always looked for a limber limb to tie them to. If not I would use a piece of rope that is like a big rubber band. That way theres some give to it.

Good luck and have fun. I still have a scar in one finger from a hook. Looks like the horns off a long horn bull..
    Pete

5. catface

catface New Member

Thanks for the info, sounds like fishing has changed some Ha Ha
    Like I said,I grew up Poor and on the river in the 50s. A true River Rat . We did not have rods and reels at all. Willow poles and Throw Lines , as we called them. I started when I was about 8 and never hooked myself one time.My older brother was a pro at it and he taught me. We put on 6-8 hooks and 1or2 railroad spikes and let her fly.
    Thay were hard times , but good times on the river. I am glad I had the experience.

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A cauk line with a rock tighted to the end and couple or three hooks near the rock used to be my throw line. A lot of the willow bank poles we used become tree growing in the bank.