Throw line help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rat fink, Jun 13, 2006.

1. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    hi all i would like to make a trow line and i would like some in put all the people i know that trow line say that i need 30 hooks im not that adventrous i would like to make one with 10/15 hooks and however long it needs to be and aneu tips would be most welcome

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First thing to check is your local state regulations. I am not entirely sure (I don't use throw lines, so I haven't memorized that part), but I think Missouri limits the number of hooks per throw line.

And we also have a 33 hook limit period. If you have trot lines, jugs, R&R, and throw lines, you can't have more than 33 hooks total.

3. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    id say with 10 to 15 hooks go about 30 feet of line. about 2 to 2 1/2 between each hook. bait it with dead rotton bluegill or cutbait or anything you could use to catch catfish/snappers! good luck. ill show pictures of my 8 turtle shells that i just skinned!

4. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    The throw lines I have used for 50 years never had more then 6 to 8 hooks per line. The reason for this is I only use them in a river,so trying to throw 80 ft. of line while standing on a wet muddy bank with a heavy weight does not seem very practicle to me,however if you are using a boat to take your line out then your OK.I just use them around logs or rocks so around here 15 or 20 feet is all you need.I'm not sure how you can throw a line as long as you are describing.For me,a throw line is one that is attached to the bank and thrown into the water,but others may have different opinions.This is why the BOC is such a great place to get info,you can get everyones ideas and opinions and choose which one suits your own situation. LOL

5. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i dont know much about throw lines but for being a member since speptember we sure dont know much about you or see you often. why not stop by more and add to ur profile?

6. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Catter is giving good advice. Only put 2 or 3 hooks on a throw line.

You put a bunch of hooks and you are going to have a mess if you hook a fish.

Trying to throw a line with 15 or so hooks will be a difficult theing to do, so, I recommend only 2 hooks per line if legal in your area.

Robert

7. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    the hook limit is 50 hooks total and i fish in a river and i have never done this before so im just looking for input and i think i found it the 3 or 4 hooks on the line is a good idea and all of the numbers are from one of my friends fathers so im just going off of what i've seen and heard of and about my profile and my attendance i dont know how to up date it and i log on as much as i can most of my time is spent working ,fixing my jeep ,hanging out with my friends, and fishing if aney one wants to help me on the profile ill accapet aney help but put it in to computer illiterit person words

8. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    How ever many hooks you decide to use just make sure you have a clean bottom for it to rest or you will have major problems.

9. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    what do you mean by a clean bottom ?

10. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    No tree tops or logs you could throw over and get hung up in when you pull your line in.

11. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    so in the middel of a log jam is out but just ahead of it i wounder ... [ponder]

12. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    You have to be lucky to keep from getting it hung up. I got hung up on what looked like a clean sand bar one time. And I'm not very lucky! LOL

13. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    as a wise man said you make your own luck or if you perfer "that log wasent there befor what a magic trick" lol:big_smile:

14. busadave

busadave New Member

State:
    ky
    33 hooks i think