Throttle problems?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wpsatisfide, Jan 16, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I have a 16 foot center console with a 1997 70 hp evinrude. The motor runs great, but I have problems leveling off. It will level off going really slow like 6 or 8, and pretty well over 25 mph. Between 8-25 ive got to constantly slow down and speed up to try and maintain speed which is aggravating and burns a lot more gas.

Anyway is there anything I can do to help reduce or fix this problem, or would I need to replace the throttle if that is the problem?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sounds like a fuel problem. Ck for air holes in all your fuel lines and pick up tube in the tank. Have some one ride in the boat with you and when it happens squeez the primer bulb and see if that helps.
    You may have some trash in the lines or tank or filter that is slowing down the fuel flow.
    I would do a compression ck and see what it is to make sure you are running on good compression.
    If you have a ingnition problem most times it will sputter like a dead cylinder and fuel gives you a slow mode or slow die down.

Ck your plugs and make sure you don't have a tip burned down on the plug that will make them run crazy like.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It sure does sound like a fuel delivery problem.

Slowing down allows the carbs to refill and speeding up is taking more from the carbs than is supplied.

That's very bad for the engine to run in a lean condition like what your doing.

Check out any filter on the engine or in the gas line.

I've seen pick up tubes sucked to the bottom and restrict fuel flow. Look for a pinched line or anything that might restrict the delivery.

4. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks for help, ill check all my lines this weekend along with sparkplug and any filters. Hopefully that will fix problem because I dont know how to do compression check and am not sure how id get to the pickup tube as tank is in the console.