Throttle Problems

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Chrisingeorgia, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I'm having trouble getting my throttle to lock into the neutral position and it's very irritating when trying to start the engine. The engine's speed will also increase erratically sometimes. The throttle always ends up just a little behind or ahead of neutral position and it causes the motor to jolt when I first start up or when I'm trying to pull back into neutral it will just bypass it and go into reverse. This afternoon I was driving at full throttle (So I thought) for a couple minutes and then backed off for a moment and gunned it back to full throttle, this time the boat's speed increased so much that I nearly lost my bimini top and my hat flew off. I got a nice tatse of what my engine is really capable of, but why isn't it going this fast all the time? I know very little about marine engines and I'm hoping for a cheap fix.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Chris what type engine and control box are we working on here. It has either stretched the cable or its out of adjustment. I need the other info to help.
    Also has it just recently started this or has it been there always and is it a new to you boat.

3. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    It's a 1994 Mariner 75HP. The control is a Quicksilver 3000 series. The boat was used when I got it and it's had at least two previous owners that I know of. It's had this problem since I got it.