Throttle Cable Help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by RiverKing, Jun 19, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Hey I just put a new throttle cable on my boat, 1979 35 HP Evinrude, and everything is fine...EXCEPT, i noticed saturday night that when i was running wide open, the throtle lever will slip back like an inch or so, which causes the boat to slow down of course....What is causing this, is it just out of adjustment?? Someone said there may be a fricktion Lever or adjustment on the actual gear box, that needs Adjusted, or does it need adjusted at the motor with the thumb screw...Any help is appreciated

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Afternoon, On Your Console, Gear Box If You'd Like, There Should Be An External Thumb Screw. It Is Usually Located On The Front Side.

Turning It In Creates More Friction & Vice-Versa,HTH...Elliot

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Is it on the front of the gear box, there is a knob on the front, and on the back on top, but i think they say Idol Stop...Are those the ones your talking about?

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Yes, Those Are The Ones, I'm Not Positive But I'll Bet It's The One On The Front Side. It Will Be Easy To Tell As You Screw It In The Throttle Will Become Harder To Pull, Elliot

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is called throttle creep. You need to adjust your friction knob located on the control box It can be a round knob on top or a thumb type knob located on the front down toward the bottom

If you can't make this out then tell me and I'll load them in my photo album and link to them