Thrill of the Hunt:

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kat in the hat, Dec 14, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    STOKED! :big_smile: Had a very memorable hunt today! Today was the second day of the second firearms season for antlerless deer only. I still had a tag burning a whole in my pocket. I know it's antlerless only, but I was still excited to get to go.

The day kinda expectantly began very...ho-hum. Nearly full moon. Gnarly front moving through. Crazy weather. It started out at 45 degrees this morning, and topped out over 60 degrees. The wind was SW 20 mph sustained with gusts over 40 mph. By 5 o'clock tonite, it was already below freezing, and raining ice. Gonna get down to 15 degrees tonite. So, we weren't sure how it was gonna turn out.

Me, and my buddy jga (BOC member), had an objective for the day. The plan was to get video footage of him killing a deer with his .44 mag Ruger. We poured over Google Earth, checked the weather over and over, and decided where to set up, and our strategy for the day. We were to sit by the pond 'till we get bored, then walk the fence lines in hopes of jumping a deer.

5:30 am, we are positioned at the southern tip of the pond on the north side of the property. It's a milo field runs east and west, being 2000 yards long, and 500 yards wide. Nothing there but a small creek that runs through the north end, and turns to make the south border. It sits between two cornfields.

6:30 am, a rabbit, that was apparently sleeping at my feet woke up, realized I was there, and exploded. Ran through my stuff, and bounced off my leg.

9:30 am, I decide to stretch my leg, and stalked around the pond. No deer, but it is the lair of a buck. You could tell not only by all the rubs, but you could smell it in the air. It reeked of buck.

10:30 am we decide to stalk the north fence line. A few old tracks, but no recent signs of deer movement. We drop some of our gear off at the truck about 11, and begin to stalk the south treeline.

11:45 am...(we stalked this side slowly) Put on a fresh coat of acorn scent, and creeped up through the trees. About 300 yards into the stalk, I see two mature bucks running directly at us out of the corn field. We almost got run over, as the bucks ran straight through the trees within about 20 feet of us. By this time, both of us had our cameras ready to roll. Got a few pictures of some very respectable bucks. The biggest deer ever to be within easy killing distance...and they stayed there. I guess they caught a whiff of my acorn scent, because once they passed us, they stopped and started to come back. They dilly-dallied around for a while. Sniffing, looking, pooping. That sort of thing. It was a breathtaking experience for me. Whew.

12:00 am, the bucks make us, and get out of dodge. We continue our stalk...stoked about catching those bucks on film. jga realized that his video camera wasn't rolling. :angry: But...we persevered...plus, I got photos! :cool2: THEN, with no prior warning, 3 antlerless deer run out of the trees about 50 yards up, and tear across the field. I shoot. I miss. :embarassed: I shoot again. I miss again. :embarassed::angry: I begin to whistle to try and stop the deer before they get away. They slow up a little. I shoot again. Deer drops in it's tracks about 100 yards out. jga GOT IT ON VIDEO! The other two decide to head back to the trees. You can hear me say on the tape "I'm out of shells." Then jga pops it with his pistol as it jumps back into the trees. It didn't fall, so he though he missed. With my deer already DOA, we continue the stalk. The deer is sneaking through the trees. Doing it's best to evade us. I'm in the trees, and jga is on the edge of the field. I find a drop of blood, and I say "it's hit." He motioned ahead of me, and I stopped...peeked around a tree, and there it was. Bedded down looking around about 15 yards away. I draw down, and put the finishing touches on it. 2 TAGS FILLED. :big_smile:

Here's the pics. A few pics of the pond, some rubs. Some pics of those bucks. And me, and jga's twin button bucks. Two button bucks, but it's still gonna be a very memorable hunt. It's why I like it so much. When the video comes available, I will post it.

Attached Files:

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice hat I am lookin forward to seein it !Ya need help eating it I have wheels and do travel fer bambi(LOL)

3. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Got more pics of rubs, but they are all about the same. :tounge_out: Here's the bucks. I was a bit mezmerized by the size of the biggest, one...and din't get very many good shots of the "smaller" one. You can see the size difference in their body. The big one was a HUGE deer, so when you see the antlers, and say "eh...I've seen bigger." May be true, but the pics don't do justice to the deer except for the size difference between a large, healthy, respectable buck, and a great big deer.

The first shot is both of both deer side by side. The second shot is the biggun. The third shot is the "smaller" buck.

Attached Files:

4. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Here's a couple more. Again, the third shot is of the "smaller" one.

Attached Files:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great pics ,Matt,That one is a big ole boy

6. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I think in this shot, you can start to appreciate how tall that rack is. This is when he sniffs me, and decides he kinda likes me. :smile2:

The pic is jga with his deer,and then me with mine. What a day!

Attached Files:

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Holy crap Matt!! Those are some barn burners right there, great pics. Thanks for sharin your adventures brother...:big_smile::cool2:

8. fishingva93

fishingva93 New Member

State:
    virginia
  9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Id be eatn either of those two bucks if the season was in for them! Im not picky! Nice pics and great story Matt! Thanks for sharing!

10. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I'm thinkin' I will try to find his sheds this spring. Unfortunantly, the chances of me hunting this field next year is slim. There is a younger guy who normally hunts there. He decided not to this year. I was offered to hunt there during buck season, but I opted for my usual spot because it always produces deer, and there are deer there bigger than this one...but it's way more acrage. More places to hide. I know of at least 3 wall hangers that survived the season, and one of them will make the books for sure. I haven't personally seen that one yet. I don't think the one I saw today would make the books with those short G-2s, but still a magnificent animal. The smaller one was a big, perfectly symetrical 8 pointer...and young. Next year, he will be awesome. Somebody is gonna tag a wallhanger for sure there next year. They basically have 3 ways to get to the woods from there from their food. 2 guys can sew that field up. Another friend of mine has killed 2 Boone and Crocket bucks out of that field, and his cousin killed a dandy there last year. If you look at a map, and somebody tells you it's a hotspot for bucks, it seems unassuming. Just a rectangle with a pond and a thin treeline. They must cross there though..and they will.

11. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Short G-3s, I meant. Don't know if they were just short, or broke off. Either way...doesn't matter. Big ol' buck! :eek:oooh: Smaller buck has LONG G-3s.

12. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Matt GREAT Post Brother!!!! Thank You. Ain't nothin better than a Meat Cutter that can fish and hunt.My hats off to you Sir.J.D.:smile2:

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the pics and the story to go with it. Enjoyed.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great story Kat. Thanks for the pics. Congrats on some fine eatin'.

15. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cool story. Sounds like you had fun. I appreciate the size of the first one, but I really liked the "smaller deer". I'd be hopin to hang him on the wall next year.

16. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    sweet story Bro !!! congrats too you and the other Bro !!!, thanx's for share'n pic and story .:cool2::cool2::cool2:

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Matt
    Thanks for the great write up on a great hunt. Congrats. on the freezer meat. Time spent in the field with a buddy is grand. Hope all your hunt are as memorable:wink:

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Good story, great pics, even an opportunity to shoot an anterless deer would make me excited. But just being out there is a good time.

19. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great looking pics!! Those are some fine looking bucks

20. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the replies! It's a bummer that I'm done for the year. Getting that close to a couple of good bucks like that has a way of renewing your interest in hunting them. I hunt for food, but would love to kill a trophy for once. I feel like it's time. This encounter was just dumb luck. Crazy weather during a secondary rut. Right place at the right time. BUT, I feel like it was a learning experience, and I'm already formulating a plan for next year. Actually, the plan is to get to know their whereabouts throughout the year, rather than just show up, and kill the first deer I see. I usually watch deer for the first couple of days, then kill whatever I can on the last day I'm gonna be hunting. But I don't typically try and do the proper recon on the bucks necessary to kill a good one. I was of the mentality of...if it happens, it happens. Next year, starting in February, will be full of scouting, shed hunting, and note taking. If I find a good shed where I'm gonna be hunting, it will give me the faith to wait for the right deer. If I get the opportunity to hunt these two bucks next year, I will jump on it, but I will probably not be able to. The land that I want to lease is in a good county, with lots of timber, and not as many humans. Good trophy potential too, but more work.