three way rigs

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by billcatfish, Nov 27, 2007.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i see alot of the turnament guys are usen 3 way rigs what about every one else an how are you all tieing yours up thanks for the info

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I also have been toying with the thought but have yet to apply any effort. I was wanting to add to Bill's interest in the 3-way rig question but also wanted to know if you guys use the 3-way with the hook end suspended using a float of some type. All info would be appreciated, thanks.

-Jim-

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I lake fish and my main rig for catfish is the three way rig. I tie the old dropper loop three way. Sinker gets tied to the end of the main line, then I move up anywhere from 18 inches to 3 foot and tie a short dropper loop that my hook gets tied to. The dropper loop I use is only about 3-4 inches long and the hook is tied directly to it. The short dropper assures that the bait is off the bottom and I think helps keep a fish from swallowing the hook.

4. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I'm with Griz,

The dropper loop is my primarily "3-way" as well. At times I'll switch it up a little, placing the lead off the dropper loop, when wanting to keep the bait on bottom in very still water around structure.

I do use a bobber at times, but more for presentation and not so much bite detection. What I mean is: When fishing far off structure from shore, or trying to fish deep holes, opposite side of submerged ledges and banks from the shore line, a vertical drop will get your bait where you want it more than a far off angled approach.

To accomplish this, use a large slip float but don't use a bobber stop. Cast out above the area your wanting to fish and the float will allow the bait to drop vertically from the surface.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Question my catfishing book says the dropper loop should only be used for light fishing. ( don't remember the exact wording). Is this true or can this "knot" hold up to larger species.

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Angel I've never had any issues with a well tied dropper being insufficient. As with all your knot's, it's imparitive to tie it well, wetten it as you tighten it and give it a tug test.
    I've caught everything from cat's to ray's and skates, to leopard's, musky/pike, striped bass and hybrids.. you name it... with no noticeable issue.

It is "one more knot" in your line, and to a degree that is detriment, but the ubiquitous use off sets any such detriment in my eyes. It's a very versatile rig.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i use a three way rig alot of the times out here. i use them in the current, seems to help on hook-ups for some reason. i like them because it keeps the bait off of the bottom and out of the crud. i have had good luck with them and usually fish them when i am tight lining. if i am using my new baitcaster with the clicker i will fish a carolina rig. i usually tie my hook leader about 1/2 the length of my weight leader. this makes sure it stays off of the bottom.

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i use a 3 way about half the time.when tight lining . but always when drifting..

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks Crucial I scanned thru the book quickly. It says it should should only be used for "bullhead and small cats". If it can stand up to skates and such then it should hold up to most cats. I remember my first skate years and years ago I thought I had a shark on the other end.....

10. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
  11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I realize I'm not up the same league with some on this board, but I have caught 20 Flatheads over 40lbs and lost count of how many between 20-40lbs and have not had any break off. The only weak point is the tag end of the knot, this is what the sinker is tied to. If you hang up the sinker will break off but not the hook.

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I m not in the same league you in. My PB flathead was maybe 8 or 9 pounds...lol... My PB channel though was 14 he was a good fighter though. This past summer mid point was my first year ever targeting them. That's one of the reason the sudden interest in Baitcasters. That and I figure its time to give it the ol try...............

13. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In heavy current the "rig" of choice is a 3-way with main line tied to a 3-way swivel then your leader tied to one eye (hook leader also has a swivel in it, half way betwen hook and where you tie 3-way) then at bottom your sinker. The extra swivel on hook leader "helps" prevent twist with a big bait in current.:wink: