Three way rigging question?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by CJ21, Dec 1, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sometimes I use a three way swivel rig for catfishing I caught a few catfish on it but when I add 1 oz sinkers I dont get many bites, and I am wondering whats the problem? and plus I get hung up a lot to.

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I used to go with the 3 ways til I finally decided it was too much work, i now just tie my hook with a polamar knot and then tie my weight to the tag end.i think it still has pretty much the same effect 'cept i dont get my bait and weight all twisted together like I used to, If you getting hung up a bunch try switching to those flat spoon shaped snagless sinkers, when you start reeling them in they will come up off the bottom quicker and keep you from getting hung up as much. I also add a small float 6-8 inches above my bait to keep the hook off the bottom. when its all rigged up you will have the float 20" inches or so up on the line, then the hook and finally the weight. good luck!

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sometimes three way rigging is a bit of work. Sometimes its worth it though. Just a few weeks ago a friend of mined found a ready made three way rig. You know those metal ones with the two drops. I was using a carolina rig he was catching fish I wasn't. After maybe two hours it dawned on me and I switched to a three way rig and started catching some. The next day again we went out again I had another rod rigged with the Carolina rig. Again I wasn't catching anything until I switched to the three way rig. You can try those round casting sinkers and maybe shorten you leader up on it. Or if you don't mind losing the sinker attach it to maybe a twelve pound leader.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have caught fish on the three way rig before, I guess I will just have to stick with it.

5. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Hey CJ,
    The three-way is a very versatile rig.. there are 101 plus ways to rig it... So experiment a little.

For someone to effectively critique your rigging, you'd have to give some detail as to how you fish the three-way.

As for the tangles, well three-ways are prone to tangles. You can minimize them by keeping your lead and hook on different lengths of leader. If you use a 24" leader to the hook for example, use maybe a 6" piece to the lead. Or try hooking the lead to the third eye directly. If you like the weight at the end of the line do the opposite, tie off the lead 12"-24" from the swivel and use a 6"-8" leader to your hook.

I have actually used a three-way swivel tied to the main line with an egg sinker above it, then used split rings to attach two hooks directly to the other two eyes on the swivel .... I don't like them, but you can rig a three in so many ways it's not even funny...

Another way I've done three-way's is to put a bobber stop on your main line; Then thread the line through one eye on the swivel;
    Then put another bobber stop on the line with a bead on both sides of the knot (or little rubber thing if you use that type);
    Then thread the line through another eye of the swivel;
    Then put on a third bobber stop with the bead on the swivel side
    Now you can tie off the lead or the hook to the main line and you have a sliding rig for either your dropper/leader or lead which ever you elect to tie to the third eye.

You can use them like an umbrella rig by using a similar set up as I mentioned above by placing a sinker on your main line, and then tying the three-way swivel on the main line (use a bead to protect the knot above the swivel); the tie off two lengths of leader to the remaining two eyes. Again use one long and one short on the leader length's, but go shorter than you normally would with a single leader..Like one 12" and one 6".

Just some thoughts... play around and try new things, you can't go wrong really.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a three way swivel, and tie my hook and sinker leader to it.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually use a 3-way for fishing live bait on the bottom. Then I usually use a carolina rig for my cutbaits. I guess its just about confidence in whichever way that works for you.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys for the tip, I nomally use a 8 or 10 lb sinker leader. I am also planning on getting some 1/2'' and 3/4'' bank sinkers.

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I use a three way rig using 2-two way swivels. I run my main line through the eye of one of the swivels and then tie it onto the other one. The one that slides up and down the main line I tie a 17lbs. leader that runs down to my weight (length depends on how high off the bottom I want to fish) then my 80lbs. mono leader that goes to my hook. Sometimes I use a small cigar float on this line to keep the bait up off the bottom as well. With the weight on a slide it allows the fish to pull the bait without feeling the heavy weight.

10. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Might be a stupid question, but isn't it possible for the "sliding" swivel to damage the line with it's movement? Or am I being paranoid?

Thinking of trying this setup...

11. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Actually, no, the swivel won't damage the line. I do however put a plastic bead below the sliding swivel to "cushion" the knot. This is a very effective rig and is virtually tangle free.

12. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    One more option for you,a 3-way with no swivel can be tied by making a loop at the bottom for the sinker and another as far up the line as you want for the hook.
    I had always used a swivel till I moved to Tn. and was shown how much faster I could get back to fishing,just loop the line through 3 times and wet it when you tighten it up.I have'nt had one break me off yet but 30 lbs. is my best so far.