Three way rig vs egg sinkers

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by jeffw51, Aug 3, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i use a three way rig with three way swivel and about an 18 inch leader to bait.should my leader be shorter in heavy current ?would an egg sinker rig be better?i would love to know some of the rigs you guys use and how to set them up properly.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jeff, welcome to the site. There are several different rigs in the member library. I use the improved paternoster, and double spider hitch most of the time. My leader size is determined by water depth how far out I am fishing and rod length. Since a three way rig is designed to keep your bait up off the bottom a long leader wont do much good if the whole thing is laying on the bottom. :wink:

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I was having too many tangled up rigs with the three way. I now pretty much exclusively use a slip rig. 18 inch or so leader, topped by a GOOD swivel, topped by a plastic bead, topped by an appropriate sized no-roll slip sinker.

If you are fishing a lot of rip-rap though it would probably still be wise to use the three way with the sinker drop being of lighter test so it breaks first.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fish 3 way swivels all the time but rig my three way with eyelets (like a circle key ring holder) I put a snapclip on one with wieght that way I can change weight to water conditions, using very light snapclips on weight side then if weight gets hung up it just opens up then I dont loose everything. On other eye ring i use various lengths of steel leaders. Works for me. :big_smile:

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    What is the heaviest weight of no-roll sinkers available?

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey Greg, this guy

http://shawncollinscustoms.com/sinkers3.htm#NoRollSlipSinker

has a 24 oz. mold. I have been trying to buy one from him for 2 weeks though. He isn't communicating too well.They are EXPENSIVE! About $95.00 a piece I believe. I am waiting for an invoice from him but am about to give up.

7. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Are you sure that is not an anchor mold Darryl LOL :wink:

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Actually he has a 8, 10, 16 oz combo that isn't listed. Thats the one I want. That will give me size ranges from 3 oz all the way to 1 pound. :eek:oooh:

Hey, ya gotta be prepared. :big_smile_2: