Three-way rig... for bottom fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LadyValea1, Mar 21, 2007.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Ok..I'm a bit confused...I use a three-way rig for bottom fishing.
    the sinker leader is 12in and the leader to the hook is about 24in

either way ...the leader to the sinker should be shorter ??

because I keep reading different three-way rigs set up with the leader to the sinker longer than the leader to the hook?

So which is the right way for bankfishing with a three-way swivel?
    longer weight? or longer hook? or equal on each side?

And why??? Thanks...

2. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well im certainly no expert but, when I use three way rigs, I put a longer leader to the sinker. The leader line to the sinker, I use a lighter lb. test also. Alot of times the sinker will get hung up on structure and if you break it off, you will lose only the sinker. Instead of swivel,hook, and sinker. I have better luck using longer sinker leader also because it seems that the hook leader doesn't wrap around the sinker leader as bad. However, when I fish on the bottom, I like to use:mainline, egg sinker, bead, barrel swivel, leader line, bobber, hook. (bobber roughly 5" from hook: roughly 2' leader line) The bobber holds the bait off of the bottom. This works really well when you're fishing a grassy, or structure filled bottom. Thats just what I do, hope this helps:cool2:

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I also use a longer leader for the sinker than for the hook. I fish around a lot of rocks and/or weeds and the longer leader to the sinker allows the bait and hook to stay above the ugliness. Keeps me froom hanging up as much and keeps the bait just above the weeds.

4. HEAVYSETDOOBER

HEAVYSETDOOBER New Member

State:
    Mayfield,Kentucky
    I usually use a longer lead on my sinker also

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Longer leader on the sinker. Rather than using 3-way swivels, I just make a couple of drops off my line, above the sinker. These drops are generally about 4"-6" long. I like to get my hooks up off the bottom, so if I'm fishing more or less straight down (drifting), my sinker may be only 12"-18" below my bottom hook. On the other hand, if I'm making a pretty long cast, I may want my sinker 2'-3' below the bottom hook, because of the slight angle of my line. Either way, I'm trying to get my bait up off the bottom, but close to it, where it can be seen and smelled better than if it were laying on the bottom in rocks or mud.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tina,
    There is no right or wrong way, but there are some points to consider that will determine which way will work better for a given situation.
    If you want the bait up off the bottom then (apart from adding a small float to the leader) you would make the sinker leader longer but also you have to use rod holders that set the rods at a steep angle (pointing at the sky) and keep a fairly tight line. If you set the rods at a low angle the whole rig will be pretty much laying on the bottom (except for the leader with the float) and you may as well use a slip-sinker rig. It's kind of hard to explain but easy to understand if you draw it out on a piece of paper.
    It's all about the angle.
    I hope I haven't confused you...W

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    When I use a three way rig, I nomally tie my leader longer than my hook leader.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you are going to use a 3-way with the three way swivel always make the sinker drop longer than the hook drop. Hook drop of 3 or 4 inches should be plenty and the sinker drop 12 to 24 inches. If you rig the other way around you are defeating the purpose of using it in the first place and will also probably end up with a tangled mess.
    Another way you may try that is easy and very effective is to slide a 3 inch cigar float on your line then tie a 4 or 5 oz. bank sinker on the bottom go up 2 to 2.5 feet and tie a 4 inch dropper loop keeping the cork sliding free between the dropper loop and the sinker. Put your favorite hook on the dropper loop. When you throw it out the cork will be resting against your sinker and when it hits the water the cork will slide up your line and stop at the dropper loop keeping your bait suspended off the bottom the distance between your sinker and drop loop.