Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah they are definitely waking up. This week looks to be about average temps, I dont expect the water to warm up much higher than where it is now on the eastern side of the state (by this coming weekend at least) but it will be hitting that magic 60 deg mark soon!!!

Hope the Allegheny warms up for yinz!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, I am going to give it a go tomorrow evening. Going to go on the Pike Island Pool I believe. Caught about 8 bluegill tonight that I willl keep live, plus will have some frozen skipjack and chicken. Made me a couple of floats tonight out of a pool noodle to suspend a couple of the gills. Planning on going early evening and fishing till midnight or when I get cold. LOL.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, I am going to give it a go tomorrow evening. Going to go on the Pike Island Pool I believe. Caught about 8 bluegill tonight that I willl keep live, plus will have some frozen skipjack and chicken. Made me a couple of floats tonight out of a pool noodle to suspend a couple of the gills. Planning on going early evening and fishing till midnight or when I get cold. LOL.
Good luck! Keep us posted

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fished a daytime tourney on the suskie Saturday. Its mainly a channel cat tourney but theres a side pot for flatheads. Not many turned in.

While I was sitting in the boat at the end of the day waiting to trailer out, buddy of mine texted me that he had just gotten a 36# in the boat. Hour later he texted me again and had gotten a 42#. I knew I should have blown the tourney off and went flatheads fishing!!! (He was also in the suskie)

He said the water was 51.6!!! Seems cold , but he was def. On them!!! Another guy posted a video of a 36# he got on Saturday at the same place , so they are firing up pretty good!!!

I only caught 2 channel cats all day, bite was tough! Had live bait on one rod all day and never had a flathead bite.

Both of my buddies fish were on cut shad, same thing with the other guy, cut shad.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I may try to spend the weekend on the ohio this weekend. Weather an water depending. Gotta get my bait tanks plumbing hooked up, get new gas, charge the batteries, and put my new rodrack on. Can't wait. May try to go catch some golden shiners for the weekend too. I have some trout, crappie, perch and a big sucker for live or cut bait....and some strawberry chicken. Haha.

·
Registered
163 Posts
192, good luck man. They are definitely on the feed!! I want to get over that way and fish the Ohio, I'm right in the middle of the state so its the same distance to go to the suskie or the allegheny/Ohio

·
Registered
242 Posts
192, good luck man. They are definitely on the feed!! I want to get over that way and fish the Ohio, I'm right in the middle of the state so its the same distance to go to the suskie or the allegheny/Ohio
Yeah I fish the Pa side of the Ohio New Cumberland Pool. I launch right at the State line. It is a trip for me as well. I live in Cambria county. I have about a 3hr drive to get there from my house. Plus I have to run Rt 22 out through Pittsburgh...Not Fun. haha. I want to try the suskie at some point. My buddy and I talk about it but never head out there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm a PM for a fair sized construction company do quite a bit of work in Cambria, if you are driving that far, you should DEFINITELY be trying the suskie !!! You do all bank fishing? Id rather not blow spots up on public forum (not because of catfisherman....but because of paylake guys)

But if you are looking to head east, drop me a PM, Id be happy to point you to some spots. Its a huge river, can be intimidating trying to find spots just because its so massive.

I fish from a boat, but I'm always keeping my eyes on the bank and there are several spots that I can think of where bank fishing would be putting you in monster zone.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm a PM for a fair sized construction company do quite a bit of work in Cambria, if you are driving that far, you should DEFINITELY be trying the suskie !!! You do all bank fishing? Id rather not blow spots up on public forum (not because of catfisherman....but because of paylake guys)

But if you are looking to head east, drop me a PM, Id be happy to point you to some spots. Its a huge river, can be intimidating trying to find spots just because its so massive.

I fish from a boat, but I'm always keeping my eyes on the bank and there are several spots that I can think of where bank fishing would be putting you in monster zone.
I have a Pontoon Boat. The susky scares me. I hear its pretty shallow in spots. I don't want to ruin a prop...again...or a lower unit or a toon. haha. I may get a Jet Jon Boat...if I do i will definitely be checking out the susky and the juniata for Musky, Flatheads and Smallies. The Ohio looks like it may be high this weekend. I'm wondering how high is too high... I am not sure what we are going to do. We may try to find a musky on smaller water if we can't hit the Ohio.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a Pontoon Boat. The susky scares me. I hear its pretty shallow in spots. I don't want to ruin a prop...again...or a lower unit or a toon. haha. I may get a Jet Jon Boat...if I do i will definitely be checking out the susky and the juniata for Musky, Flatheads and Smallies. The Ohio looks like it may be high this weekend. I'm wondering how high is too high... I am not sure what we are going to do. We may try to find a musky on smaller water if we can't hit the Ohio.
Doesn't look like the Ohio will be that bad this weekend according to the forecast. National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah I fish the Pa side of the Ohio New Cumberland Pool. I launch right at the State line. It is a trip for me as well. I live in Cambria county. I have about a 3hr drive to get there from my house. Plus I have to run Rt 22 out through Pittsburgh...Not Fun. haha. I want to try the suskie at some point. My buddy and I talk about it but never head out there.
You must launch at Ohioville launch? It is a nice launch. I sometimes go there, but I usually go to New Cumberland boat launch or mingo junction and fish the Pike Island pool. In WV I can use unlimited rods so it is a little nicer than PA. I sometimes fish from Ohioville especially if my son or wife is with me as we can then use 6 rods.

I may be out this weekend on the Ohio. Still waiting to see what my schedule and the weather works out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You must launch at Ohioville launch? It is a nice launch. I sometimes go there, but I usually go to New Cumberland boat launch or mingo junction and fish the Pike Island pool. In WV I can use unlimited rods so it is a little nicer than PA. I sometimes fish from Ohioville especially if my son or wife is with me as we can then use 6 rods.

I may be out this weekend on the Ohio. Still waiting to see what my schedule and the weather works out.
Yeah I use the ohioville launch. I only fished it maybe 5 times last year. All those time the water gauge was 12.5-13.5' soooo idk I don't have much experience on that river. Since it's a good drive for us and we never really catch anything super exciting We spend all weekend on the boat...I'm super excited to get out and catch fish. We take anything carp,drum and cats. I have a dock demon rod we put a worm on and have a blast haha. I was considering getting a WV license. I want to catch a blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Anyone doing any fishing? Muddy water ought to have em stirred up! I’m hoping to get out this week

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anyone doing any fishing? Muddy water ought to have em stirred up! I’m hoping to get out this week
I went Friday evening on the WV Section of the New Cumberland pool. Only caught 1 channel cat. I had a heck of a time anchoring with the wind and the debris was pretty bad on the main river. I moved into a creek mouth and that was better and was where I caught the channel.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I took my mama out on the boat for a bit Saturday on the Juniata. Baits werent in the water 5 minutes and she hooked up to a 12# channel cat.

Fish swam right to the boat and just as she said " I think its a small one" he took off up under the boat lolol!!!! She let out a holler..."HE'S FIGHTIN ME HE'S FIGHTIN ME"

I laughed so hard my sides hurt lol!! Fished for a couple hours after that without so much as a nibble...then got caught in a heck of a rainstorm.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts