Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All, I didn't find a new thread for us yet this year so I wanted to be sure we got one going. We had some good discussions last year and y'all helped me a lot! I'm getting the boat ready for 2021 as we speak!
anyone fishing around Pittsburgh yet?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I went out Saturday afternoon for a while, but was on the over on the WV side of the New Cumberland pool. Didn't get a bite. Alot of debris coming down the river, so I got tired of the lines getting caught in it, so I moved over into a stream coming in from the side. Felt great to be out. May go bank fishing this weekend for a little bit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I start Mid April every year. Load up on stocked trout for cut bait. I fish the Mon which runs a little warmer than the Allegheny. I start fishing the Al early May.
I’m excited to take my kids for the youth trout day saturday, we usually jus hit the local stockie stream then eat our catch for lunch. Might have to save a few for flatheads. I didn’t know they were particularly good bait. Is there a reason you prefer them over other bait this time of year?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Son and I did some bass fishing this morning on the New Cumberland Pool near the Ohioville boat ramp. Didn't do any good bass fishing though. Surface water temp was almost 50 degrees.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I’m excited to take my kids for the youth trout day saturday, we usually jus hit the local stockie stream then eat our catch for lunch. Might have to save a few for flatheads. I didn’t know they were particularly good bait. Is there a reason you prefer them over other bait this time of year?
They're oily and plentiful. My favorite early season bait by a landslide. The overwhelming majority of my "large" early season flatheads come on trout.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
A friend of mine took his girlfriends 9 year old son out today on the Allegheny and the boy got a 21 lb Flathead and another smaller one this afternoon. Don't know for sure what bait was used but if I had to guess I would say Skipjack.
Congratulations!!!

The Pa Fish Commission recently put out a video about Pa catfish. Good info about the ages of Flatheads in Allegheny vs Susquehanna rivers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A friend of mine took his girlfriends 9 year old son out today on the Allegheny and the boy got a 21 lb Flathead and another smaller one this afternoon. Don't know for sure what bait was used but if I had to guess I would say Skipjack.
Congratulations!!!

The Pa Fish Commission recently put out a video about Pa catfish. Good info about the ages of Flatheads in Allegheny vs Susquehanna rivers.
Yes they should be waking up now as temps are getting over 50.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yep it's pretty much time to start chasing them. Won't be tons of action yet but you aren't wasting your time either.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Went down to the suskie Saturday. Water temp was 55- 56 degrees. Caught 3 flatties, a 12#, 13# and 4#. All 3 ate rockbass, the 4# ate a dead one, others were live.

They weren't exactly on fire, but we caught those 3 and I missed 2 by picking the rod up instead of letting it in the holder and reeling down. (Early season jitters lol!!!!)

Felt great to be out on the river!!!!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts